Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before my starter went bad a couple of days ago my bike ran fine.

Starter went, had to remove the exhaust from the bike, take the starter in to the shop and order a new starter for about 6 days. In that time I left the exhaust off and the starter hole covered.

Oh, before I removed the starter I removed the plugs and did the whole push the bike around a little, rotate the tire backwards etc then I replaced the plugs.

Got the new starter (only one of the bolts would fit in there >< ) and I was so excited I started up the bike briefly to see if the starter would truly turn the engine over. It did! Beautiful naked 87 GL1200 Interstate sound.

Ok, reattached the exhaust by bolting them back on with their screws (took forever to get the exhaust positioned correctly) left the bolt behind the pegs off because it was getting too dark to see.

Started the bike up again and this time I noticed that with its mufflers on, it sound...different. Weird. Also the rpms were much lower than what I think it should be. After warming up and running for a bit it was staying at 500 rpms. I put the bike in gear and gave it throttle and it died. Did it slower and it took off but with reduced power. Came back let it warm up and tried to take off again real fast but it jerked dead.

Any clues?

Thanks for your time!

What I think: Maybe I didnt set the plugs back in all the way? I kinda doubt this but I was pushing on the...the things that connect electronically to the spark plugs...the name is on the tip of my tongue.

Oh Also, the bike would pop pop pop occasionally like a backfire or something just randomly.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm thats a good question. I for some reason did think on one of my sides the wires should have looked crossed. Thats real quick to see about

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Yeah went out in the morning just before my wife took me to work...looked at the right side and started to disconnect the wires. Wait...nah no way thats crossed. Inconceivable! Looked at the left side...Holy crap Batman! Switched them, started it up and it came on a purrin and a whurrin like a dream boat, Thankyou!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.