Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a dunce, but here it is: I moderately winterized my '86 Interstate with a full tank of gas and some Stabil. Due to circumstances, after a couple of months I had to ride it before having a chance to drain the gas and put in fresh. It started fine and ran with no problem, but when I roll on the throttle hard, it shudders and misses. If I back completely off the throttle, it backfires. I've now got a fresh tank of premium and some Seafoam in it, but it's still doing it. I'm really hoping there's a simple explanation and fix for this that I can do, so I don't have to take it to a dealer and spend money I don't have!

All shared wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Stay safe,

Rob

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Look into your ignition system, you may have a cracked plug boot, bad spark plug or wire or cracked coil.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I feel like a dunce, but here it is: I moderately winterized my '86 Interstate with a full tank of gas and some Stabil. Due to circumstances, after a couple of months I had to ride it before having a chance to drain the gas and put in fresh.
Rob
Why would you drain the gas and refill? Stabil is suppose to keep your gas fresh and smelling like a Daisy for a year or more.:ROFL:

Your problem does sound like fuel delivery, check the pump and filter.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
Welcome to the Site Rob!! I don't know that much about carb's but if she's still not running right by next Saturday, I'll come by if you want and see what we can figure out. I would offer to come by tomorrow but I'm allready lined up to go fishing up at Laurel Bed Lake.

Being as you're from Saltville, I believe you know where that's at..... :cool: :grin: :grin:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Look into your ignition system, you may have a cracked plug boot, bad spark plug or wire or cracked coil.
+1 and I'd start with the ignition switch itself. I always use only the bike key itself, not as part of a key ring, and keep it/them in the little coin pocket of my jeans. Blow out the ignition switch thoroughly with contact cleaner or Gumout and let it dry out, assisting with compressed (dry) air if you're in a hurry. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.