Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

need help finding problem with my 1985 goldwing interstate when driving 100 kmh or less engine just stops but at 120 kmh or more it runs find also notice one plug burning black . also notice at 2000 rpm gas filter is only half full and at 3000 rpm its full this normal went on a 5 hour strait drive only did it twice at 100 kmh and coming home drove mostly 120 to 130 kmh didnt do it at all check everything i can thing off now lost can anyone help

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

burning black..... suggests to rich or oil fouling the plug

filter should be always full... so one has to wonder if your fuel pump is working correctly.... you say it is full at speed, so I would wonder if you aren't running at full charge.... have you checked the connection of the three yellow wires out of the stator, and the connections for the regulator?

nice first name, but you spelled it wrong:D

·
Administrator
26,986 Posts
imported post

Roger, I agree with Rodger somewhat. Could be either the charging system is not up to par or the fuel pump is not working unless the voltage is at peak.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Roger, have you replaced the fuel filter recently. I have seen them where the technician creanked down too hard on one of the fuel line clamps and crushed the filter nipple. The will allow the pump to suck air in at that point and the filter will look less than full.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It doesn't sound like a fuel starvation issue to me since it runs okay at higher speeds. It is possible the filter to fuel line joint might be sucking air but it's not affecting the engine since the engine will run fine at higher throttle settings. Air in the filer per se isn't a problem, if you don't fill the filter before connecting both ends of the fuel line to it air will be trapped in the filter body. The fuel pump will put suction on the filter but if the air is trapped above the hose barb it will just pull fuel through without pulling the air out this doesn't really cause any problem. The black plug is probably due to a leaking or misadjusted float valve on that cylinder's carb. I really think the problem is not fuel but ignition, possibly the beginning ofa problem with a pulser coil. The fact that you had problems riding at 100kph and didn't at the higher speed just sounds like a coincidence to me.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Fuel filter is directional. Check to make sure it is installed with the arrow in direction of flow because if it is not you will experience exactly what you described at least part of it.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

i check gas filter after going for a drive was full going at high speed after siting there over night filter went dry toke filter off and i can blow air true on both ends i though fuel filters were dirictional but was no leaks

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ok guys brought it to honda dealers everything check out good mecanic says probebly igition module and honda doesnt make then anymore any one knows where i could buy one second hand

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

well guys here i am again with same problem change fuel pump gas filter but after idling for about 5 minutes gas filter goes empty toke off petcock that's ok blew air in line not plug.{ any idea why gas filter keeps going empty}

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Roger,

Just a thought here but try running it with the gas cap off for a bit. There may be a vacuum forming in the tank due to a clogged gas cap. I had a similar problem.

The gas cap vent being plugged is quite common.You probably hear a“wosh” when you take off your gas cap. What you hearis a vacuum and not pressure. As you use fuel the tank can’t get out side air to fill the space due to the plugged gas cap. Although your fuel system is pressurized, that’s after the fuel pump. There is no pump that pressurizes the tank.

I had this problem after I purchased my 82 Aspencade. It was not until I realized after putting clues together from other posts that I fixed (or managed) my own problem.

After filling up the bike with gas, I would head out to take a bit of a ride. I found that I was not getting a very good mileage from a tank before the engine would sputter and I would have to switch over o the reserve. I would look at the gas gauge and I would still have about ¼ tank left. The carbs have never been done and the bike did sit for an extremely long time before I got it. I just thought it was gummed up carbs and had them removed, cleaned and rebuilt.

The mileage got a lot better but would still sputter around ¼ tank, especially on longer trips. Just “jigging” around town would not show this problem as bad or not at all. I just thought the gas gauge was off and was going to ask anyone if there were adjustments for this. I also noticed that the engine did not perform well when I was around ½ tank of gas. Kind of sluggish in the pickup.

Then I read a few posts about fuel issues and people hearing a “Whoosh” when they took the gas cap off. I guess it was not supposed to do that. I hear it all the time on my Toyota Echo and I never gave it a second thought. Then something clicked in that slowing down brain of mine. There was a vacuum forming in the tank. Could this be the problem??

Sure enough it was! I did several longer rides of 200km or so (which I always had the problem) and would loosen up the gas cap now and then while in flight. Instant success. The engine now sputters only when truly running out of gas. The gauge is in fact right on. The power is back on the entire tank. HA!! I am sooooo proud of my wee little brain at times!!

You can either get a new cap from Honda or soak your old one in WD40 or Seafoam for a few hours and then whacking it down firm a few times on something hard in the same direction as if it were on the tank. I did mone on a 2x4. I did that twice. Haven’t had a problem since. That’s 15 months ago and almost 10k km.

Just a thought.

Tim

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

1.If you had filter full of gas and after awhile it has air, it means hose between tank and filter sucks air. Check hose and clamps. Fuel petcock can also suck air if it is bad.
Does it happen if tank is full?
2. If your engine stops instantly w/o any warning, it is ignition problem. Clean all connections and check if coils have cracks

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

yes it does it on full tank of gas i replace all gas line yesterday from carbs to fuel pump then fuel pump to petcock seems to be gething better but it still goes down about 1/4 gas left in filter then it suck air a bit until pump starts pumping faster then it refills filter again same prosses happens over and over. im looking around for a petcock to try but mind seems to be ok.

as for the staling so quick im thinking it might be the ignition module even when its idling sometime the engine will stop but as soon u hit the star button it starts right back up i clean all conection i could see any u guys can think of that i might be missing

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

hi guys

well it finaly let go. the starter my question is do u need to lift up the engine a bit to change the starter my budy told me he had his in the shop and they told him they had to lift up the engine to replace it im doing this on my own this weak end any help.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

hi guys well i think i got it narrowed down. when i leave the engine idle for a long period of time suddenly the engine stops. my ? is is there anything behind the fan that will heat up and cause the engine to stop because after a few minutes when i leave the key on with fan running it starts right back up.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,778 Posts
imported post

I suggest that just maybe, the charging system is not up to snuff. The battery voltage is dropping to a marginal value (check with voltmeter) and then the radiator fan turns ON.

The extra current load of the fan drops the battery voltage below the point where the ignition module can produce a spark. Poof! No more spark, and the engine dies.

While the engine is dead, the battery recovers slightly, just enough to start the engine again. The fan doesn't come ON right away, and the cycle just repeats.

Put a VOM on the battery and monitor it while the idling process is occurring. Dollars to donuts, you are idling it too slow to keep the battery charged.

Try this, set the throttle for a 1,500 RPM "idle", then watch the battery voltage and see what happens when the radiator fan turns on again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.