Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked up the title for my GL1200 and received with it a stack of repair tickets. I found it interesting that this thing has had 4 pulse generators on it since 2002. It has 77k on it. My last GL1200 had 256K and still had the originals.

Likewise, front and rear wheel bearings have been replaced twice. Seems a bit much to me.

Did I buy a lemon?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I would be looking for a bad connection at the PGs. I have one that I had to take the female connectors from the bike harness out and squeeze them tighter to get a good connection. Someone may have been replacing them when it really didn't need them, same for the bearings.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Do you mean 4 sets of pulse generators, or two sets (two PGs in each set)?
Maybe one set was never needed, fitted after someone mis-diagnosed a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
Do you mean 4 sets of pulse generators, or two sets (two PGs in each set)?
Maybe one set was never needed, fitted after someone mis-diagnosed a problem.
Looks like a single replaced in 2002, both in 2004, and a single in 2009.

My buddy tells me the PO was rather finicky. This may have also been a case of an owner diagnosing nonexisting problems.

I see there were oil changes always using Honda brand oil & filter at 2,000 mile intervals, spark plugs and air filter every 6,000, etc.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

How dare you start a thread about a "new to you" and not include pictures. You've been a member of the forum a year and a half and learned nothing, absolutely nuthin.

Oh, and what year is it?

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
How dare you start a thread about a "new to you" and not include pictures. You've been a member of the forum a year and a half and learned nothing, absolutely nuthin.

Oh, and what year is it?

Actually, I've had it for about a month and have posted photos. I bought a barn find 1983 Yamaha Venture last month. I had to rebuild the carbs and replace the rear tire to make it rideable.

I called a friend, a Yammie Nut, for advice. He showed up the next morning offering to swap me for a 1985 Aspencade.

I'm a Goldwing Guy. It didn't take me long to agree tohis terms.

He was leaving for Austria the next morning, so his first test ride was yesterday. In the mean time, however, he left the GL1200 with me when he went to Europe, so I did a500 miletest ride over the last month.

When I bought the Venture, it was with intentions of selling it at a profit. As it is, I have less than $1,000 invested in the Goldwing. The wife suggested that maybe I should keep it for short trips andsave the sidecar bike for traveling.

They do look good together, don't they?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

4 PG's in 77k miles is a lot Mike, more so on a clean and well cared for Wing like yours.
I know they can fail, but the average GL1200 only eats about one set of PG's in a lifetime.
On the positive side, the PO seems to have done all the preventive maintenance for you.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Jeez, all I got was a title and headaches. You did good! Actually, the Yamaha looked nice too. Why did you trade it away?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

It's a California model. I wonder how it got all the way to Wisconsin. No motorcycle would go there willingly.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
Jeez, all I got was a title and headaches. You did good! Actually, the Yamaha looked nice too. Why did you trade it away?
The Yammie looked a lot better on film than in person, but the real reason is just that I like my Hondas. My friend Fred is aYamaha guy. I was with him when he bought the Goldwing last spring, but he never really warmed up to the bike. He bought it, frustrated that he couldn't find an old Venture. He also has a beautiful '99 with a sidecar.

When I bought this one, I did so with intentions of reselling it. It had been setting a while, though it had current plates. I called Fred to tell him I was going to look at it and to get advice on what to look at. I also called him later to say I purchased it for $700.

He showed up the next morning at my place on the Goldwing and proceeded to tell me why I needed to own another one and that I would hate Yamahas. :smiler:

Then he offered to make an even trade, his running Goldwing for my dead Venture. :shock:

It took me all of about 12 seconds to agree to the deal.

He was on his way to Austria with his wife the next morning. While he was gone I rebuilt the carbs and got it running and replaced a bald rear tire. He picked it up on Tuesday and tells me he is very happy with his trade. I am too.:action:

Here's his other bike.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I should have added that, though I bought the Venture to resell, my wife says I should keep the Wing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.