Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replace the Water pump, Timing belts,and Head gaskets, The story of this fix is the water pump went bad replace it started bike ran but white smoke out exhaust bad head gaskets replace them and timing belts now no spark All 4 plugs check all connecters tight did not discontent any
I'm using a CLYMER manual it says to check wires in connector # [to many to list] how do you know what is what in connector not # I am trying to check if my pulse generator is bad or not I got power everywhere lights,horn,radio and I have check fuses All good

·
Registered
211 Posts
clymer says: remove battery cover and disconect 4 wire connector for the pulse generator. using an ohm meter, check white, blue/yellow ( 1&2 ), white/blue, blue (3&4). resistance should be 530+/-50 @ 68deg F. is it possible new head gasket is interfering with ground path for the plugs? remove plugs, put them in the boots and try a different ground source (not the heads).

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
You have 2 pulse generators and as I understand it, both going bad at the same time is unlikely. When one goes bad you lose spark at 2 cylinders, not all 4.
Your Wing being an 87, the PGs are at the front of the engine under the timing belts cover. Any possibility you might have damaged the wires when refitting the belt covers?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,336 Posts
I'm thinkin' JWayne is on the right track.
Those wires have a special path out and up through the frame to the plug. It's the big white one, (9 pin), left and above the coils.
Things can look plugged in, but still not work. Check both sides.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this test and get no resistance on 1 gen.
clymer says: remove battery cover and disconect 4 wire connector for the pulse generator. using an ohm meter, check white, blue/yellow ( 1&2 ), white/blue, blue (3&4). resistance should be 530+/-50 @ 68deg F. is it possible new head gasket is interfering with ground path for the plugs? remove plugs, put them in the boots and try a different ground source (not the heads).

·
Registered
211 Posts
sorry guys, apparently i need new glasses. i didn't realize we were talking about a 1200 till it was too late. my bad.

·
Administrator
27,938 Posts
You have 2 pulse generators and as I understand it, both going bad at the same time is unlikely. When one goes bad you lose spark at 2 cylinders, not all 4.
No, if either one quits it will not fire either coil.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Guess I didn't get the memo...

My GL1200 only has one pulse generator. Two coils, but only one PG as far as I know, and I've tested mine and it's within spec.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Cornpone, you got 2 pulse generators, one connector with both sets of leads.

DaveO340, I have had bad pulse gens in the past, and have had the bike running on 2 cylinders. But one of the PGs signals the fuel pump, so if that one goes bad you will stop (unless you jump the fuel pump lead!).

Hey trashtruck, my manual said around 1100ohms but my PGs read out in the 400ohm range when hot, have seen posts that say the high number is for 1984 and the 85+ should read around 330ohms.

·
Administrator
27,938 Posts
DaveO340, I have had bad pulse gens in the past, and have had the bike running on 2 cylinders. But one of the PGs signals the fuel pump, so if that one goes bad you will stop (unless you jump the fuel pump lead!).
That has not been my experience. I had one that would not fire at all with 1 bad PG and a lot of others have reported the same thing, PG quits and instant death, not running running on 2 cylinders until it runs out of fuel. And no the PG does not signal the fuel pump, it signals the ignition module which in turn signals the fuel pump relay. Not saying it couldn't ever run on 2 cyls but that is not the norm.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Mine would die when one pulse coil stopped working. Screwy thing would cool off after 10 minutes, and restart. Drove me buggy trying to figure it out. And wouldn't die if the temps outside were 75 or less. The test smoked out the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Heck mine would spit and fart... run for 20 miles then quit, start fine the next day....

when in doubt change the PG's if it isnt them causing the problem at least you will have a spare set when they finally do quit :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.