Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those of you that have done this. I have an 84 Aspencade, I do not have pulse generator problems right now and maybe never will according to what I have read. I understand the pulse generators are on the rear of the engine and to replace them its best to remove the engine somewhat. A couple places I read says there are no new replacements for these pulse generators. My question is, can I modify the wiring harness and put a later model pulse generator that bolt to the front of the engine to the rear of the engine ? I am not interested in the poor boy kit. I am just asking a question that I see no answer to after reading maybe 500 pages of this forum. Have any of you done this with any success ? Thanks again Jim.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Good question. I doubt that without swapping the engine case and crank shaft you could modify the pulse generator location.

In my opion the 84 pulse generators are not problematic like they are on later years possible because of their location. It's cooler where they are on the back of the engine on the 84 and probably that has something to do with it.

Personally I think you are talking yourself into fixing a problem that doesn't exist. But that is my opinion.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Good question. I doubt that without swapping the engine case and crank shaft you could modify the pulse generator location.

In my opion the 84 pulse generators are not problematic like they are on later years possible because of their location. It's cooler where they are on the back of the engine on the 84 and probably that has something to do with it.

Personally I think you are talking yourself into fixing a problem that doesn't exist. But that is my opinion.
Agreed.:readit:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
If the front of the engine under the timing belt covers has the mounting holes for the later pulse generators, I suppose they could be fitted. You would also need the crankshaft pulley from the later model. I have a feeling this has been discussed here before, so there should be threads there for the searching.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the quick answers. I am not going to do anything with the pulse generators until I have a problem. I have no idea what they look like. They should be a couple of coils of some configuration. I am not wanting to put them on the front of the engine like the 85 and newer. I am asking if anyone has put the newer pulse generators on the back and if they are physically the same configuration except for the wiring, in other words will they bolt up back there. Thanks again Jim

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Pulse generators?
Poor-Boy kit?

???

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
:claps::claps::claps: Thanks Steve for those pictures...Nothing like seeing a picture when you need it...

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
you do not have to to take out the engine to remove pulse generator. remove battery and go thru the side. walkabout

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walkabout, that makes lots of sense, I can see how that would work. I am seeing a lot of new information coming from my original request. I am thinking with a little imagination and a little re-engineering a later model coil (pulse generator) can work in the 84 coil (pulse generator housing). Maybe drilling and threading a couple more holes. I was a repairman for 37 years in a steel mill and we made due and fixed things that were impossible according to some experts. I learned that nothing is impossible, there is always a fix, sometimes it ain't pretty, but will work as good as the original. So I have looked at the photos of the 84 coils and the 85 coils and I think the 85 coils, although they are a different configuration, just might be persuaded to work.

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
Service manual states you have to pull the swing arm to get to it, not remove the engine. I have a bad PG on my 84 and I bought a used one off ebay. Just waiting for warmer weather to install it. Might try Walkabout's suggestion and see if I can do it from the side rather than pull the swing arm. PG and poorboy are not related as far as I know. Poorboy is for replacing the stator not the PG. Correct?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes the Poorboy is an external alternator not the PGs.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I have a 1986 SE-I which has a bad stator. I am not a mechanic. I would like to find someone in the Houston area to install a poor boy alternator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would post a seperate thred request for poorboy install.
Here and some of the other forums like gl1200goldwings

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
GL1500 PG's are a little different but are much better as far as durability, Some slight modification is needed, But the GL1500 pg's can take much more heat.

I picked up a pair of them from ebay $20.00 incl shipping for my 84' GL12,

I also put the ignition coils from a GL1500 MP08 coils, on my GL12, they made my GL12 run better, It has a brighter/hotter spark now.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Correction to my prior post. My stator was working fine. I took the bike to a Doug Carr in Willis, Texas. He sells and services a lot of Hondas. He asked a fellow he knew to sort out the problem. It was with the connector block coming off the stator. He cut out the connector block and soldered the wire together (each ones of course). Buying a "Used Goldwing" section, would be a good start for troubleshooting, as Steve mentions it would be a good idea to do so there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.