Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When overtaking traffic and I open the throttle wide open, I am experiencing a slight internal engine rattle. I only experience the noise when I open the throttle wide open otherwise, bike runs great. I also think the pick up should be better when overtaking traffic, any one have any info? Thanks in advance as always.

clubby

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:15blue:I have a 1100 but most engines are the same, car or bike. Several choices. Engine pinging, or rod knock or main bearing knock comes to mind. Do you get any noise when the engine is cold? You can buy a cheap stethoscopeto hear engine noise at Harbor Freight or use a long screwdriver to isolate the noise. If it sound like it's coming from the engine, try using 50 wt motor oil and see if the noise changes. If it does, time to do a rebuild maybe. Get another opinion to be sure.

If the noise is only on acceleration, or going up a hill, try going to a preimum gas for awhile. You may also want to have a tune up done and adjust the timing.I have also mixed 1/2 preimum and 1/2 regular to get a slightly higher octane. I read about it in Road &Track 20 years ago and use that mixture on my 66 mustang.

If you are still having a problem, some of the other members may be able to shead some light or it's time to see a professional.

:baffled:Jerry

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hello from across the lake!! Do you think its pinging? Maybe you need a higher octaine fuel or the timing is off....

Bill

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey Bill, I am suspicious of the timing as I haven't had it checked in the last few years. I am only getting the noise with the throttle wide open, otherwise nothing. I seem to notice it less when running premium fuel and as far as oil, I am running 20w50.

clubby

P.S.. Sure hope the weather is better on your side of the lake ha ha.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

It's just predetonation. You are drowning the engine, and it can't handle the added mix. Try dropping into 4th gear, overtaking, and then back into OD. That pinging noise is to be avoided at all costs, as it is harmful to the engine.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hi Clubby

I just got in from trimming around the palm trees.....Weather stinks here too!! Soon it will be time to ride if I can get the bike back together. If your pinging is better with higher octane either downshift ot reset the timing. Pinging will hurt the engine. We are suppose to get a ferry from Erie to Port Dover one of these days. That would be cool.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

clubby wrote:
When overtaking traffic and I open the throttle wide open, I am experiencing a slight internal engine rattle. I only experience the noise when I open the throttle wide open otherwise, bike runs great. I also think the pick up should be better when overtaking traffic, any one have any info? Thanks in advance as always.

clubby
I'd agree with the other guys, think you might be pinging. My previous bike, a 1200, would do it on lower octane fuel ifI cranked open the throttle hard below 45 or 50 in 5th gear. Make sure you aren't lugging.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Pinging is due to excess cylinder heat. It comes from excess heat in the cylinder that causes the fuel to start to combust before the spark comes along, or to not burn uniformly after the spark. Higher octane fuel covers up the problem, but does not solve it, it simply takes more heat to burn. After I fixed mine and tuned it, i could run the dickens out of it in summer on 86 octane gasoline with no pinging.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The guys are on the right track.. You are experiencing what is called "pinging". There are two reasons for pinging on an internal combustion engine.

One is pre-ignition which is caused by the timing set too far in advance of the combustion cycle. The spark plug fires way ahead of the correct time while the piston is on the up stroke in the compression cycle. The explosion wants to force the piston back down before it can go over TDC (Top Dead Center) to complete the power stroke. It's like hitting the top of the piston with a sledge hammer on it's way up.

The second is detonation. This is caused when there is a heavy build up of carbon on the tops of the pistons, cylinder heads & valves. When the cylinder gets hot, tiny spots of this carbon tend to remain hot enough to glow (like a burning ember) and when the fuel enters the combustion chamber, that tiny little hot spot will ignite the fuel air mixture and fire the cylinder. This cycle can happen at any time during piston travel (in your case, at wide open throttle). The bike loses power, and there is a rattling noise coming from it.

Both conditions are serious enough to cause damage and should be corrected as soon as possible. The spark plugs may appear clean and normal and the secondary ignition system can be undamaged.. Like it was stated in the other posts, double check the ignition timing, valve timing (belts), and do a compression test.. Excessivley high compression is a dead giveaway of carbon build up inside the combustion chamber.

Please keep us posted on the results.. We like to keep the data for future reference.. Good luck...:waving:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It sure sounds like you are lugging the engine. 5th gear is overdrive and the engine is barely turning over at highway speeds. 4th or 3rd gears may be a better choice for passing. Remember, the GL1200 can safely spin up to 7500 RPM (factory rated redline) without any problem.

Vic

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well, as always, you guys have answered my question. I did the timing belts two years ago and will definatly check the timing and do a compression test on the cylinders. Thanks again to all those who responded.

Your help is appreciated.

Clubby

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Newbie here.

Recently bought an 86 Aspencade with 72,000 miles on it. Found postings here related to the timing belts and replaced them this last weekend. Not too tough, and the forum advice helped.

The bike does have more mechanical noise in Overdrive than any of the other gears. Hard to describe, but kind of midway between a very mild chattering and shuddering. Seems most apparent in the 55-65mph range at low to mid throttle. Either goes away about that or is masked by wind noise.

Is this normal or something to worry about?

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

TrialsGuy, it may be possible that you have a u joint that is starting wear out. Place the transmission in gear, bike on centerstand,then try rocking the back wheel in one direction then the other. Listen for noises and let us know how much the wheel travels back and forth.

Vic

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Therear wheel rotates 1.5", as measured at the outer rim circumference, in first gear. There is no particular clanking sound when the tire is rotated to each end of the 1.5".

I should say that the noise seems to be from the generally forward part of the motor when in motion. Again, it is not a grinding or other noise that I would find alarming, just a noticeably louder mechanical noise than in 1st-4th gears.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It might just be the regular Gold Wing engine noises you are hearing and if the carb synchronization is bad it multiplies the noise.

BTW, that rear wheel travel is good so just drive the bike but if you have an opportunity get an experienced Wing owner/mechanic to listen to it just in case.

Vic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.