Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
You can take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out. If it's not leaking or bent up if the radiator is the problem it must be partly clogged.
Only 3 reasons a radiator does not work well as it should.
It's leaking and not holding pressure, or it's clogged and not letting the coolent flow properly, or the fins are mostly bent or full of bugs so air can not flow through properly.
Have you looked for excess bugs in the fins? LOL
Though kinda joking I have seen it be the problem on some cars and trucks. I bought one cheap once the owner said he replaced everything and it still over heated all the time and he showed me the receipts of all the money he had spent on everything at a shop. I found about a million bugs in the radiator fins, plugged nearly solid! So it happens at times.

Are you sure it's not a bad pressure cap not letting it build pressure as it should.
Have you replaced the thermostat? It could be not opening all the way perhaps. Letting enough coolant flow to stay cool at higher speeds but blocking enough to overheat at low speeds or sitting.

Running highway and faster rpms everything stays cooler and coolant flows faster, city driving of course when most needed the coolant flows slower and everything is hotter having no wind.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I've not been working on 1200's, do they have 1 or 2 fans?
The 1500's have 2 fans, if one is not working a 1500 will over heat if sitting idling much.
My 88 1 fan was wired to a manual switch and if I forgot to flip it on in heavy slow traffic or a drive through I'd start to over heat some. Never needed that second fan on highway though no mater how hot it was out.
When hearing the one fan kicked on you would just think the fans were working, but it was only 1 one them.

I think you only have one fan, but thought I'd toss that out there anyway, and maybe someone with a 1500 will find it useful LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.