Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I removed my radiator, took a gallon jug of water, and poured it into the neck as fast as I could without it "glugging", it came out of the radiator as fast as it went in. I had a serious overheating problem, but it happened quickly after starting the engine, while idling. The gauge went all the way to the red zone, and the radiator cap opened and coolant started blowing out. I checked and tried everything. Last thing I did was to fill it through the drain (from the bottom up) with a pressure pump. Hasn't overheated since. Never confirmed the problem, but I suspect air was trapped in there somewhere, and wasn't coming out.

I have the digital dash, and mine runs at 6 bars, no matter what the ambient temperature, with or without the thermostat. That is where the fan comes on.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I recommend motorcycle specific GREEN coolant. I totally recommend against GM "Dexcool" or anything designed to mix with it. I have seen cooling systems totally destroyed by that stuff. To be fair, had it been changed on a yearly basis, that probably wouldn't have happened, but GM claims it will last 5 years or 150,000 miles, and it won't even come close. Long before then it will have turned into a muddy looking brown glue, kind of waxy and will have plugged everything up, including the coolant passages in the engine. I don't know of anything that will dissolve this stuff.

I use Maxima Coolanol. I get it from Cycle Gear. But there are other brands out there that work just as well. Just stay away from anything called OAT or HOAT based.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.