Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't buy a new radiator as it is discontinued. What do I need to do to fix one of these 2 radiators I have.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike starts getting hot after about 10-15 miles as soon as I get in town temp goes up. Fan works, Pump works. I have flushed radiator twice with little change just made it stay cool longer not much. Last bike had same problem and I blew the engine by really overheating it but hey got home and now I have a parts bike.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the core needs cleaned there does not seem to be a leak. I'm still learning though.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not over heating yet thank God. New thermostat, 2 flushes, looked at pump, saw water moving at top of radiator with cap off, felt upper hose pulsing with cap on. Fan comes on (only one Fan) well before it gets half way on temp gauge. Fan cycles at first then stays on after a ride of a few miles. Fins look fair on both radiators not pugged not new either.

Maybe I should have my spare radiator boiled out, pressure checked, new cap? before I install it.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gl1200i used to stay a lot cooler. I just want to ride but don't want to over heat this bike like I did the last one.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over flow staying normal level.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great ideas ya'll. I don't have an infrared sensor but she feels hot to me when I stop. Hose seemed stiff enough when I took it off to change thermostat and change timing belts.

What is the best way to get the radiator clean?

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it were just an indication problem, the cooling fans would cycle normally. You say they come on and stay on. If that's the case, then the thermo switch AND the gauge are faulty?
If it reads hot, and the fans stay on, then it is hot.
Take your stand-by radiator to a radiator shop and have it FLOW tested. Then install it.
What's the difference between flow test and boiling out? What kind of flow is good?
perhaps these answers will become self evident.
boiling out may spring leak.
water from the hose flows through I think. could try should flow that fast probably faster. not sure
what about rod and core?

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What about fluid what type of antifreeze?

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Silicate free only, mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

The type of antifreeze you are probably has nothing to do with your current problem unless it turns out to be the water pump. Then, some silicates may have played a part.
Just want to get the right kind. I'd love to get 50,000 - 100,000 without cooling issues.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok I took my spare radiator to the radiator shop. Mark was really nice and we talked a bit he's got a wing and put 80,000 on his other one before the motor guard got ripped off by a passing car. Mark by Gods grace didn't get hurt or drop the bike but it started leaking oil. Anyway he is going on vacation until the 13th and I got my radiator back today but he put one of the tanks on backward. Of course I didn't notice until I had the one off my bike What a bummer.

So put the same still probably plugged radiator back on the bike for now put water in and cranked up to check for leaks and fill radiator with distilled water. Water level changed with rpms opposite directions.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Rinsed out radiator put new cap on refilled idled fan cycled temp stayed good burped the air must test ride could have been the cap. Let ya'll know

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Rinsed out radiator put new cap on refilled idled fan cycled temp stayed good burped the air must test ride could have been the cap. Let ya'll know
Ok rode today stayed cool 10 miles added water to radiator after it cooled rode 20 miles home took the long way stayed cool maybe the new cap is helping. see if it keeps losing water.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
There aren't many places to lose water besides the radiator cap or radiator itself. The head gasket(s), the coolant pipe joints, radiator hose fittings, water pump weep hole and most common, leaking in the line from the radiator to the expansion tank.
BTW - did you see any bubbles rising in the radiator neck when the engine was running? A leaking head gasket can increase the coolant temperature quite a bit.
GL1200I 1986

I have seen no visible leaks the water is going into the overflow but not being pulled back into the radiator.

I replaced both head gaskets 743 miles ago. I did not replace the oil orifice O-rings. I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

I've also been hoping the little bit of smoke I see shortly after a cold or cool start is oil or something not water. But there is no point in denying the fact she blew white smoke rings when I started her a little while ago.

The smoke rings are a neat party trick, but I don't like them myself.
No oil in the water.
No water in the oil.
Pushing water into overflow not refilling radiator.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
New cap just bought it Friday. It can be a little difficult to get it turned to the stop tabs but I had the false tank off this weekend so I could see everything while pulling the radiator and putting it back on because the spare one I took to the shop got one of the tanks put on backwards and will not fit. line between tanks is ok old but ok.

No visible leaks with the false tank off.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Take a good look at your expansion tubes and their connection to the expansion tank. It doesn't take much of an air leak there to prevent the coolant from being drawn back into the radiator as the engine cools. But that shouldn't cause coolant from being lost it will just impair the radiator's ability to function.
Took it off it's a bit harder with the false tank on and it was leaking at the elbow connection I fixed it and put it back on. Thought I'd warm it up see what happens it smoked more I think then when I revved it to about 4 grand I could see a spray of water on the floor before the smoke went away after a few minutes. Then she seem ok could run a little smother though, I thought while watching her running.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Pull your plugs after she cools inspect them. turn it over, with handel bar switch off turn it over see if water spits out plug hole.
That's what I was thinking I'll pull the plugs and check, but

I ordered the gaskets and o rings after I seen the water come out the tail pipe I'm sure it will just get worst these thing don't usually fix them selves.

On a good note I tested the stator and it works good.:)

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Plugs look good little oil fouled ordered tires should come in Friday.

Time will tell.

less smoke today I took some oil out last night not much but some.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
how many bars should show when cooling starts
I have a GL1200I mine has a needle gauge that does not exceed 1/4 now that I have replaced the head gaskets both sides with oem. (they were beginning to blow and there were pieces of the gasket in the coolant) Also the water pump was bad so I put a new one in. I think the bad water pump helped blow the head gaskets. The weep hole was plugged up.

You should ask on your own tread Or do a search others will know the # of bars. Rebuild your water pump if you think your bike is getting hot or the impellers wiggle it is cheaper than head gaskets.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Jeff,

So I take it that you are back on the road without problems? Good job!

The one thing you will hear from this site over and over…

1) Use OEM head gaskets!
2) Use OEM water pumps!
3) Use Randakk Carb Kits!

All of these will save you time and money. They might be a bit more expensive at first but if you don’t have to do the job again or sit and worry about your work then there is a big savings there.

Glad to see you back out on the roads.

Tim.
I read your post and thought I'd go check the fluids in my bike just to be sure all is good. Well, the over flow was empty and radiator was low but I could see coolant in it. I refilled the coolant. Checked the oil and it has water in it. makes me want to cry. Guess I'll retorque to heads and pray couldn't hurt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.