Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Jeff,

So I take it that you are back on the road without problems? Good job!

The one thing you will hear from this site over and over…

1) Use OEM head gaskets!
2) Use OEM water pumps!
3) Use Randakk Carb Kits!

All of these will save you time and money. They might be a bit more expensive at first but if you don’t have to do the job again or sit and worry about your work then there is a big savings there.

Glad to see you back out on the roads.

Tim.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Jeff,

So I take it that you are back on the road without problems? Good job!

The one thing you will hear from this site over and over…

1) Use OEM head gaskets!
2) Use OEM water pumps!
3) Use Randakk Carb Kits!

All of these will save you time and money. They might be a bit more expensive at first but if you don’t have to do the job again or sit and worry about your work then there is a big savings there.

Glad to see you back out on the roads.

Tim.
I read your post and thought I'd go check the fluids in my bike just to be sure all is good. Well, the over flow was empty and radiator was low but I could see coolant in it. I refilled the coolant. Checked the oil and it has water in it. makes me want to cry. Guess I'll retorque to heads and pray couldn't hurt.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I retorqued the head bolts and changed the oil. I loosened each bolt a 1/4 turn then torqued to 45ith instead of 40 because the torque wrench I have is as old as the bike. I thought it may not be as accurate as it used to be.

I have taken the bike through 3 heat cycles in about 100 miles. All seems ok. No loud pops, oil and water seem to be staying where they belong.

The torque wrench I have Looks just like the one in the Clymer book.

I'll keep riding and Praying and see what happens.

This site has been of great value to me.

Thank you all for sharing.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I've had smoke twice now on start up but there is no sweet smell. I have been running TC-W3 2cycle oil in the fuel. I have a fuel leak past front left valve seat for the floats and the petcock don't work very well. I will try a solenoid in line normally closed 12v .75amp hooked to the fuel pump hot wire.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It looks to me like I had multiple problems:

Leaking overflow hose between the radiator and the overflow.

Failing water pump with a plugged weep hole the rotor wiggled some.

Failing head gaskets between the combustion and the coolant no water in the oil.

The radiator was fine:?

Running cool now with the gauge not rising above half way even after a hard ride then sitting in traffic in the heat.

Ended up with new head gaskets, new water pump new radiator cap, and new hose between the radiator and overflow.

I think the hose leaked sometimes but not every time and failing water pump didn't let enough water flow to cool like it should.

Thank you all for your help.:claps:

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.