Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have found the source of my factory audio problem on my 86 GL1200a....

Symptoms or Problem.... sometimes my factory audio system looses all power, sometimes it give off a high pitch squeal, sometimes only one speaker works....:wtf:

Most of the time the intercom and stereo all works perfect, but with road vibrations and bumps I get one of the above symptoms, If I grab the main radio unit and move it (it's pritty tight in it's mount) just a minor adjustment or movment will make the problem go away and all works fine again..

I would bet this is not limited to my bike, anyone found a good permanent fix for this problem? I have wedged a folded up wad of paper along the side of the radio and it helps but not 100% of the time.

I have not looked into this problem much yet, thought I would post it here first and see if anyone had a good fix before I just started trying different things.:praying:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
its typical for the stock oem radio contacts on the back of radio to get intermittent,just take radio out and tweak those contacts out a bit and your problems should stop,not unusual for problems to happen again under big bumps again though,just a 1200 related problem that plagues us all at times

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its typical for the stock oem radio contacts on the back of radio to get intermittent,just take radio out and tweak those contacts out a bit and your problems should stop,not unusual for problems to happen again under big bumps again though,just a 1200 related problem that plagues us all at times
Ok thanks for the 411, I was planning on trying that and may even clean the contacts with alcohol and a q-tip. I'll post a update tomarrow.:praying:

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE.......
Yes cleaning contacts and slightly bending each prong to tighten the connection on the slide mount help a lot, it still goes into the high pitch squeal on bigger bumps in the road but non of the other symptoms came back tonight. I'm going to re-install a cardboard shim to tighten the mount but all works much better then yesterday.

Thanks again:claps:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another trick we used at the stareo shop was to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. I have the same bike with the same problem that folded cardboard fixed. I also posted an alternative to the factory radio for digital sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.