Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two SEi Radios. I was talking to Seirra about repairing the one that is on the bike. (Cassette player belt issue)

Then I called them back after remembering a thread where they added a 3.5 jack. (I needed more info on that)

What they do is remove the whole cassette player guts from the radio, and then wire in a 3ft 3.5 cord so you can use it for a ipod or iphone, and hear it through the speakers or intercom.
Lift the cassette door ,pull the cord out and plug it into your device. slide it back in the cavity, when not in use- close the door.

The $125 repair cost is the same either way.

I have a el cheapo cassette with 3.5 cord I had used on my other 1200's and 1500.

They explained how I'd get much better music clarity with the jack vs the cassette adapter. (I like the idea of no more cassette player issues later on)

So my question to you all is.

Have you had the conversion done to your radio?

Your thoughts after the conversion??

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I have two SEi Radios. I was talking to Seirra about repairing the one that is on the bike. (Cassette player belt issue)

Then I called them back after remembering a thread where they added a 3.5 jack. (I needed more info on that)

What they do is remove the whole cassette player guts from the radio, and then wire in a 3ft 3.5 cord so you can use it for a ipod or iphone, and hear it through the speakers or intercom.
Lift the cassette door ,pull the cord out and plug it into your device. slide it back in the cavity, when not in use- close the door.

I have a el cheapo cassette with 3.5 cord I had used on my other 1200's and 1500.

They explained how I'd get much better music clarity with the jack vs the cassette adapter. (I like the idea of no more cassette player issues later on)

So my question to you all is.

Have you had the conversion done to your radio?

Your thoughts after the conversion??
I never had one modified for the GL1200 but they also do it for the GL1500. The 1500 conversion for the 3.5 mm jack works very well with excellent sound quality. My opinion is that the mod for the 1200 radio would be very similar and would be the way I would go.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts

I recently sold my '85 Aspencade, but it too was fixed by Sierra maybe 20 years ago. If I had it now, might would go this way. In 24 years of ownership, I maybe used a cassette three or four times, I used the snot out of XM though with a wireless modulator located in the hump behind the co-rider. Hell, just having a secret storage comp hidden in a cassette door would have done me more good. Same with my trike I've had since '04, I used the cassette player once when a buddy asked me to try a tape, but I don't carry cassette tapes on the trike either, I use XM in it too, and all other of my vehicles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts