Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

need to replace the rear rotor on my 84 "Old-wing" but the price for a new OEM is over $400. any thoughts on after market rotors?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You should be able to get a half decent used one from eBay. You'll probably have to be patient though for a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,750 Posts
imported post

I bought one off e-bay and ended up trashing it. My original, with over 200K miles was in better shape. It was the only one I saw, so be very careful.

I ended up getting one from a member here who was triking an SEi. Try putting a thread in the for sale/wanted forum.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Good front rotors are a dime a dozen but good rear ones are rarer than hen's teeth.:shock:

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm pretty sure I don't want a used one.
Just a good aftermarket rotor and pads.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Armo wrote:
I'm pretty sure I don't want a used one.
Just a good aftermarket rotor and pads.
A serviceable used rotor that would last you many years can be had for about 1/4 the price of an aftermarket one.
But then it's your wallet.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I purchased an EBC Stainless Steel from Cycle Gear for $225.00

very nice and fits perfectly

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I have bought many parts from E Bay for my 1200, with no problems yet. Just have to be careful screening the sellers history and feel free to contact them.

Can you have a goldwing rotor turned ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
I have bought many parts from E Bay for my 1200, with no problems yet. Just have to be careful screening the sellers history and feel free to contact them.

Can you have a goldwing rotor turned ?

Jim
I had a rear rotor turned on a 81 Interstate years ago. The guy who did it was a good friend and wasn't sure he could turn it for a motorcycle but I brought it to him anyway and he was able to do it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,750 Posts
imported post

I bought an e-bay rotor that was pretty ratty so I took it to a local NAPA. They didn't turn it, theyground it, on a machine intended for surfacing transmission parts, I think.

When it was over,I was just out a lot of money. I think it had beed ground not parallel to the mounting surface. But either way, the e-bay guy couldn't be expected to take back a rotor that had been wooked on and the NAPA guy explained up front that he was "experimenting".

I don't have a lot of luck with e-bay stuff. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

my original rear rotor lasted 27 years,
throw out the old and by new.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

VBall17 wrote:
Ken, please post if you find a reasonably priced new one. I may be needing one soon also.
I will if I find a low priced new rotor.

What I was actually saying is that a $20 to $50 rotor will if not badly worn last you for several years.

My present used rear rotor that I payed $20 for four years ago is now due for replacement.:shock:

On turning the rotor, it's a no brainier. A new rotor is 7mm, a worn out rotor is anything less than 6mm. That gives you 0.5mm on each side to play with which would be a waste of time and money as even if you can stay above 6mm as it would soon be worn to thin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.