Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is everybody using? getting ready to change mine and want to know whats working best for the gl1200a? i know it calls for 80w and im thinking about going synthetic.

thanks in advance
Clutz

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
yes have found, synthetic oil works fine, I use motul 70 90

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I believe that you can use almost any decent proper weight gear lube, regular or synthetic, and as long as you change it when you should you will be fine. I drive about 10,000 miles a year and pull a trailer a little. I change every year. easy job and not much expense.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I don't change mine quite that often. I go about 30,000, mostly because my income hasnt uped in 25 years and I know I'll never afford another bike.

I did the axles, ujoints (6),locking hubs and ball joints on my f150 150k mile 4x4 once. Wireing fried next week
Never do a lot of maintenence at the same time. The other parts get jealous:ROFL:

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I think that synthetic oil is great stuff. I also think in most cases it is better than it has to be. The final drive on my bike is the exception. It holds such a small amount that it must get pretty darn hot. The reason is that if I change it annually (about 8000 miles) it is pretty dark. Not so with synthetic. It remains pretty clean. Synthetic oil must run cooler therefore not burning and extending the life of the oil. Oh, also the life of the final drive. I would suggest synthetic to all who ask me for this application.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
The final drive is one area I also use synthetic. Partly because of cost. I also use the Valvoline 75/90 and a bottle lasts several years changing it annually. The bottle only runs about $10.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Royal Purple seems to be good quality synthetic lube that works well.

I have had no complaints about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.