Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got the rear wheel off for tire change and I've been cleaning up the inner hub area but I tried to pull the hub flange out and it's stuck. It rocks slightly so I don't think it's the studs. I don't recall if I've ever had this flange out. Anybody got any ideas on what's going on with it and perhaps what caused it to get stuck in there in the first place? Over torquing of axle nut? Frozen up from oxidation?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I carefully pried the hub off. It was stuck! The moly was gummy underneath and the mating surfaces had some light surface corrosion. I'll clean it up and give it a proper moly paste application.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Cool.

I was going to suggest prying carefully. Sounds like you did.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i have the mate to your bike parked outside on the porch. its a running machine. walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

thats going to make a big improvement...it should float somewhat

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

All splines are sharp showing little discernible wear. I now have a recollection of pulling it down summer before last just to make sure the splines were greased(PO proofing). I was a little befuddled by the stuck hub. Never had one do that before. Get the Spitfire mounted tomorrow and break it in on a high desert jaunt this weekend.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

And here we midwesterners sit, with nothing to do but read the posts to these forums...and envy those who are still riding!!!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

maestro319 wrote:
And here we midwesterners sit, with nothing to do but read the posts to these forums...and envy those who are still riding!!!
Move to the west coast........I'm still riding every day........lol

Sorry. I just had to give ya a rib poke there...lol

Kurt

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

escogold wrote:
All splines are sharp showing little discernible wear.
It maybe a language barrier:?but sharp splines just like sharp sprocket teeth are worn out.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I've posted these pix before, and people are probably tired of seeing them. But they have value.

This one is worn out - to the point of skipping:

This one is new out of the box, with Moly60 added:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I feel for ya maestro. But then again, we never get to feel the flowers bloom like madness in the spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.