Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please answer a guestion for me? I was trying to reinstall the right rear shock on my '85 gl1200I. The bolt is threaded on the end. After trying several times to get the bolt to start I gave up and looked into the hole it's supposed to thread into only to find there are no threads in the hole. Is this right? Does the bolt just push in and hold the shock in place or am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Steve

·
Registered
211 Posts
as far as i know, both the shock bolt and the nut should be threaded. how did you remove the nut from the bolt if it has no threads?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Yes the final drive should have threads in the blind hole.
If they've been stripped out you'll have to repair it with a Heli-coil or similar thread repair kit.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
they can be buggers too get started i have found if you grind a little off the shoulder where threads end it helps it to line up better not on the threaded part but on the shoulder just round it and it will center itself

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Could someone please answer a guestion for me? I was trying to reinstall the right rear shock on my '85 gl1200I. The bolt is threaded on the end. After trying several times to get the bolt to start I gave up and looked into the hole it's supposed to thread into only to find there are no threads in the hole. Is this right? Does the bolt just push in and hold the shock in place or am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Steve
The bolt has threads and a section without threads for the shock bushing to sit on. The hole for the bolt is theaded, but just the section near the bottom of the hole. As mentioned, they can be difficult to get started. If you put something under the tire to lift it slightly it can make it easier.

If yours has no threads whatsoever, then you will need to have it repaired. Also, if they are damaged, you should be able to see some evidence on the bolt itself.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I figured there had to be threads in the hole. When I removed it it seemed tight at first and then just kept turning so I ended up pulling it out the rest of the way with a pliers. My guess is that there aren't that many threads in the bottom of the hole so I'll try to clean it out to see what I have. Grinding off some of the shoulder so it goes is a little further is also a great idea. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.