1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone advise me how much (cc's) fork oil or ATF fluid that the

rear shocks on my 84 1200 Aspencade require. My Clymers manuel

only says to replenish the ATF fluid after seal replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I think the trick is to put oil in through the air line until it seeps out. I've seen ity done like that before but have no idea of oil quantity.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks brain, I know the 82 model year , the gl1000, takes 365cc. I got that info from

another wing web sight, but I'm having a hard time finding out if the 1200 aspy. is

diffrent as I am going to put new oil seals in this weekend.

Thanks, Wayne

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Morning Wayne, According to the '84 Honda manual the rear shocks take 259.5cc ea of ATF fluid. Now what type of ATF it doesn't say. My guess would be the same as what a Honda auto uses. Good luck.

Mo

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Hi Wayne,

How did the oil seal replacement go? I'm planning on the same operation this month. A few questions-what did you use for the oil seal driver? Did you replace the bushings and the rubber boots along with the seals? estimate of cost for parts?

thanks

Ken

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ken, The rebuild on the front and rear shocks went fine. I used a 1&1/2 " PVC split

down the side as a seal driver, and it worked fine (Just keep your fingers out of the

slit you make on the PVC pipe.) A 2" PVC may work better. I only had the 1&1/2 when I did mine.

As for the cost, it was approx. $45.00 for the front seals, and I put progressive springs in while I was doing them. They were around $75.00. The rear seals were $11.00 each, and the rubber boots for the rear shocks were around $16.00 each. I bought all the items except for the front seals from Biker Bandet. The front seals were bought at a local honda shop.

I used ATF Dextron Three in the front and rear shocks. I use no air in the front and around 30Lbs in the rear. That combo works good for me.

BTW on the rear shocks I used a 70 ccsyringe to put the ATF fluid in through the air inlet, keeping track until I got to the correct amount (259.5 cc) The syringe has a plastic tip that seals in the air inlet and you will need to put the oil in slow and let the air escape slow as the last of the oil go's in.

Good luck, Wayne

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ken, I forgot to tell you in the last post that I didn't replace the bushings in the front or rear as they were allright.

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.