Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear air shocks on my 86 Interstate are not holding pressure, they bleed off over the course of about two hours. My question is weather I should rebuild the air shocks or replace with adjustable spring type that I found for about $140.00 for the set. I at some point will be pulling a trailer while riding 2 up. I would appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks !!:baffled:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Is it the shocks that are leaking or the plumbing?
It would be a shame to throw away good shocks just because a line or fitting was leaking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sprayed all the lines and fittings with a soapy water solution and they didn't show any bubbles. Just not sure if it would be better to try and find a rebuild kit and do the rebuild or if the spring type would accomplish the same thing without having to worry about air pressure problems.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
shocks

have never seen anyone have any luck using the spring type shocks over the air shocks,air shocks are really nice since they are quickly adjustable to varied road and load conditions,if they were good enough with exception of losing air you could just do the seal replacement for about $30 pull the shock boots down to check for a leak there and check condition of shaft,if i am correct you dont have an ait compressor,so its eveither shocks lines,might even be at the schrader valve,pump then up to 60 lbs and recheck everything,windex for me does an excellent job of finding leaks

check shaft for rust,nicks etc which may have worn out seals

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
You can put new seals in the shocks and run new hose for less than 140 bucks. I would suggest new springs too, while you're doing the job, but that will bring the tab up a little.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I am showing my newbieness, I aired the shocks up to 60, loosened and re-tightened the valve core. Pressure was then at 54 lbs. and has been holding that pressure for about 6 hours now. Just goes to show it doesn't hurt to double check yourself and then maybe check again. Thanks guys !!

·
Registered
303 Posts
have never seen anyone have any luck using the spring type shocks over the air shocks,air shocks are really nice since they are quickly adjustable to varied road and load conditions,if they were good enough with exception of losing air you could just do the seal replacement for about $30 pull the shock boots down to check for a leak there and check condition of shaft,if i am correct you dont have an ait compressor,so its eveither shocks lines,might even be at the schrader valve,pump then up to 60 lbs and recheck everything,windex for me does an excellent job of finding leaks

check shaft for rust,nicks etc which may have worn out seals
Defiantly not here to start a debate but I have installed the progressive 412hd spring shocks and for my use they are amazing. Now my wife and I are heavy people and I like a more sport from my bikes. The heavy duty spring shocks offer a great ride height, feel and comfort more then the old air shocks ever could even with them pumped up to 60psi. The ride comfortable but firm and solid feelings in the turns and I do love to ride the turns. It raised the bike a good 2" over the maxed out air shocks and that's with both of us on the bike. Nothing drags or scrapes now no matter how much I lean.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
since you never had "new" progressives or rebuilts its not surprising the ride height etc is better

what was the actual part number of the 412's?

·
Registered
303 Posts
since you never had "new" progressives or rebuilts its not surprising the ride height etc is better

what was the actual part number of the 412's?
I agree that i have never had new air shocks. The part number is # 4124226c they are coil over heavy duty gas filled shocks. The progressive representative recommended them over their air shocks for heavier loads. I paid $204total with shipping

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
yes i can see why for you if u ride two up most of time they would be more heavy duty,but for people that ride one up or lightly packed normally and heavier loads occasionally the air shocks allow for those changes
i would think that for me alone they definitely would be a stiff riding shock and ride height would defintely offset the handling of my mc

progresive 412-4226C............ progressive 416-1626A

max hgt...... 14.26................................ 13.90

comp hgt .... 10.37............................... 10.47

max travel..... 3.89................................. 3.43

rate lbs/in .... 140/200 .......................... 125/180

they have two others that may work for someone that wanted to lower the ride height an inch but seldom carry heavy loads,but for about $180 and some labor i can still have a stock shocks advantages,with progressive springs

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
yes i can see why for you if u ride two up most of time they would be more heavy duty,but for people that ride one up or lightly packed normally and heavier loads occasionally the air shocks allow for those changes
i would think that for me alone they definitely would be a stiff riding shock and ride height would defintely offset the handling of my mc

progresive 412-4226C............ progressive 416-1626A

max hgt...... 14.26................................ 13.90

comp hgt .... 10.37............................... 10.47

max travel..... 3.89................................. 3.43

rate lbs/in .... 140/200 .......................... 125/180

they have two others that may work for someone that wanted to lower the ride height an inch but seldom carry heavy loads,but for about $180 and some labor i can still have a stock shocks advantages,with progressive springs
I for one will never think twice about replacing mine to progressive 416-1626A's....
I read the thread on how to rebuild the factory shocks, went to menards and got the peices to build the jig, 1 hr of time $35.00 plus fuel, modified the manard parts to work as a jug 1 hr or time, two bandaids, took shocks off bike, 1 hr time, took one shock apart 3/4 hr of time, took second shock aprat 1/2 time, found internal booshing bad, took lock nut off to replace internal bushing and destroyed lock nut and shaft. 1 hr time. tossed all remaining parts into trash and ordered progressive 416-1626a's and love them!!!!!!! Acualy more to my story than this but you get the idea, 1 pint of Jack Daniels, 5 hr waisted time $35.00 waisted money, a week of bike beeing apart waiting on new shocks. and now I have a nice and smooth ride!

GO to wingstuff.com on sale for $299.99

B.T.W. jack was while I waited for the new shocks not during rebuild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok, I am showing my newbieness, I aired the shocks up to 60, loosened and re-tightened the valve core. Pressure was then at 54 lbs. and has been holding that pressure for about 6 hours now. Just goes to show it doesn't hurt to double check yourself and then maybe check again. Thanks guys !!
What valve core did you loosen and then tighten? Was it the one on the right side panel next to the buttons for the shocks?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
What valve core did you loosen and then tighten? Was it the one on the right side panel next to the buttons for the shocks?
No. Brian has an Interstate. The hoses are different than yours and you air them up back by the rear master cylinder.
If you have a problem, seek Aspencade threads, or start one of your own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1986 AspencadeSEi

I know we are hashing over a dead horse and an old topic. Riders like the air shocks, from what I can tell, because they can adjust the ride.
My air ride was starting to act up during a 9 day ride from Sioux Falls to Vancouver, BC. It would suddenly read 2 :readit:lbs, from 40 lbs. and then start flashing EEE's. Sometimes it would reset after shutting down and restarting, at gas stops, and sometimes just go back to EEE. The last couple of days on my ride were not very comfortable, so I knew something was wrong.
This winter the bike was stripped down, soldered all wiring, new plugs, oil, brake pads, wheel bearings and yes the shocks were removed. I tried to install a set of Progressive springs in the rear, but could not get the shock to come apart at the top. Took it to a suspension shop, they broke their compression tool trying to separate the top . I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Progressive 412's. They have 3 ride adjustments and am looking forward to not having any more "air problems" I did install new Progressive springs in the forks as well.
It is a totally different bike!!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I too am losing pressure and suspect the o ring on top of the shock mentioned on page 342 clymer. Can anyone point me to part number or spec?
86 interstate.

·
Registered
357 Posts
yes, new shocks would be the way to go for me on my 84. They don't leak, just bottom out easily. I'm sure they are factory shocks n no oil in them now. I saw jig...and all that to rebuild them, what a hassle/mess; no thanks. I purchased inexpensive shocks off E bay for $125/pair. I have yet to install them as no lift for bike n weather being cool to tinker with it. I will just adjust the springs to...almost max on spanner adjustment and hope for the best as cannot get to spanner adjustment with bags on. My old bike, sorry to say, is just not worth $250 shocks...as much as I would like to put nice shocks like the 4124226c
on the bike on the bike. Cost v. Benefit analysis is just not there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.