Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone advise me approximately what pressure(psi)I should I set my rear suspension to on my GL1200 Interstate?
​​​​​​​Thankyou.

·
Administrator
22,389 Posts
It should say on the tank what minimum and maximum are. Don't you have an owner's manual?

Where are you located and what year of bike is it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the UK,and the bike is 1985.

I do have a Haynes manual but it is completely useless and doesn't specify.

The tank does say 200-400psi,but that is a massive range.

I am a Wing newbie,so I was looking for friendly advice from all you veterans to give me a base to work from.

So do you have any actual guidance to offer?

·
Administrator
25,763 Posts
You adjust it to where you like it. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I maybe a Wing newbie,but even I thought 200-400 was monsterous.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou.Very helpful.Which manual is that taken from,as that's clearly the one I need as the Haynes is useless?

·
Administrator
25,763 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tank probably says 200-400kPa..and someone misread it :needahug:.
Yep,you're probably right,and that someone was me.Doh!
To be fair it was raining and I'd been working on the bike all day.
Still needed the advice on the range though.
Thanks

·
Administrator
25,763 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I too was wondering about the correct pressure on the 1986 GL1200 Interstate because the book simply says 0 - 6 psi for the front, and 28 - 57 psi for the rear. But because I am a little short, even the max pressure forces me to tip-toe at a stop and that's with boots on. So I set mine around 15 psi; just enough air pressure to ensure oil in the strut doesn't back-flow into the service hose. I have to rebuild mine anyways, so at this point, due to it leaking oil (left side rear), the pressures do not concern me at the moment. Once I either replace or rebuild both struts (might as well do them both), then I will be meticulous about the correct air pressure for my weight. I wonder if they make a seat that is at least 1/2" inch lower.

Joe

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run 45lbs in the Rear, 4lbs in the front I have Progressive springs as well. Im 260lbs Very seldom 2up. I like just enough that when I jump off the center stand, I can feel the air in the rear. if you do it a few times you will feel what Im saying. With these settings I dont get much road feel, and the grooved pavement is pretty much unnoticeable. You have to use a quick release valve to get these things just right, because they dont hold much so pressure changes quickly. A small handheld pump will work great, then you dont go over pressure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts