Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, I recently traded up to a GL1200 Aspencade. I had a dry left rear wheel bearing that I replaced w/ an All Balls set. I messed up when I ignored the fact that the spacer or collar was missing. Then I tightened the pinch bolt prior to tightening the axle nut. So the final drive spacer was pushed into the side of the right bearing and it failed in less than 100 miles. So, I towed the bike backhome, ordered a new set of bearings and a piece of steel tubing to make a new collar. Does anyone have one they can mike? My attempts at measuring show approximately 75mm from bearing seat to bearing seat in the hub, but I need to be really accurate. My local boneyard has 20-30 1200's but they are all missing the rear wheel and final drive. Is there a defect that causes these to fail? Thanks for any and all responses!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

This the long spacer that fits inside the wheel, the one you can't see when the wheel is in the bike?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

deacon883 wrote:
Hello all

My local boneyard has 20-30 1200's but they are all missing the rear wheel and final drive. Is there a defect that causes these to fail? Thanks for any and all responses!
Lack of maintenance on the splines. Grease them regularly with the correct grease, they will last for thousands of miles

I think the tires made today get greater mileage than the tires made when the 1200's were built, consequently the splines did not get greased often enough.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the tip re: spline maintenance. But seriously, does any one have a spacer collar that they can mike and tell me how long to cut my replacement?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The collar appears to be still available part #42625-MAH-000 for about $25.
Can your local dealer not get you one?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ordered one from local Honda fealer last week, he called me two days later to tell me that Honda has discontinued the part, no longer available. Would you check if still available in Canada?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

deacon883 wrote:
Ordered one from local Honda fealer last week, he called me two days later to tell me that Honda has discontinued the part, no longer available. Would you check if still available in Canada?
westernhonda.com an online dealer shows it as available for $21.03.
If it's not available they usually say "call for price".
Worth a try.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Welcome to another member in Phoenix. Both cheapcycleparts and bikebandit show it as being discontinued, but you could try Western Honda. However, many times, all these places fil to mark items as being discontinued for some time after thay are no longer available. I went to cheapcycleparts recently, and they showed an item I desperately needed as in stock, after showing it discontinued for like forever. So I called them, and they told me that was indeed a mistake, and they could not get it.

I would not give up on a used one. Since you are in Phoenix, try Bob's. If they don't have it, email Whitey's Classic Wings online. They list a lot of parts on their site, but have a lot more little stuff, you just have to ask them. As a last resort, try eBay. I am currently fabricating some of my own fuel injection parts because they too have been "discontinued"

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Both cheapcycleparts and bikebandit show it as being discontinued, but you could try Western Honda.
Jerry, what have you been smoking? I just checked both those sites and they each show the collar/spacer 42625-MAH-000 as available.
Makes me wonder about your inability to get parts for your LTD.:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Welcome to another member in Phoenix. Both cheapcycleparts and bikebandit show it as being discontinued, but you could try Western Honda. However, many times, all these places fil to mark items as being discontinued for some time after thay are no longer available. I went to cheapcycleparts recently, and they showed an item I desperately needed as in stock, after showing it discontinued for like forever. So I called them, and they told me that was indeed a mistake, and they could not get it.

I would not give up on a used one. Since you are in Phoenix, try Bob's. If they don't have it, email Whitey's Classic Wings online. They list a lot of parts on their site, but have a lot more little stuff, you just have to ask them. As a last resort, try eBay. I am currently fabricating some of my own fuel injection parts because they too have been "discontinued"
Why do you always mention whitey's? He's expensive. This is the 2nd postfrom you on consecutive threads that I read in the last 5 minutes that you 'whitey'ed.' The only time he sells for decent prices is when his stuff is on ebay auctions and the market sets the price(not on his buy-it-now ebay items--those are usually not realistic prices). I'd never refer people to expensive sellers. Not trying to bashwhitey at all, I'd guess he's a good guy judging from his ebay feedback,but he's considered very expensive to people that know what parts go for.

Deacon,
I might have one for you (free), unless it was sold with the final drive. I'll look tomorrow and let you know. cya

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

2.917 +/- .002

74.10mm

you were in luck was just replacing a spun bearing,staking and using sleeve retainer

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

IRAQI RAM wrote:
Why do you always mention whitey's? He's expensive. This is the 2nd postfrom you on consecutive threads that I read in the last 5 minutes that you 'whitey'ed.' The only time he sells for decent prices is when his stuff is on ebay auctions and the market sets the price (not on his buy-it-now ebay items--those are usually not realistic prices). I'd never refer people to expensive sellers. Not trying to bashwhitey at all, I'd guess he's a good guy judging from his ebay feedback,but he's considered very expensive to people that know what parts go for.

Deacon,
I might have one for you (free), unless it was sold with the final drive. I'll look tomorrow and let you know. cya
because if whitey has it its always good quality and he's dependable,ebay is usually a gamble somewhat as to what you'll pay and is not always as good as stated,plus you may have to wait days to win the auction if its not buy it now or best offer
besides his is a business,not someone trying to resell his leftovers

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Hey I have an extra one..If you are planning on making one I can give it to you for a jig.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

By the way I have bought a number of things From Whitey also. He sells I buy..no one has to buy anything. I have found a few items he had I could not find elsewhere. He is a stand up guy.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Got will dig it out this evening and send it out you should have it by the weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.