Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,I removed the rear wheel from the bike to fix a slow leak and when I put it back into place (all components incl. the axle) the wheel is not seating in the dust boot. It is about 1/16th away from penetrating the edge of the cover. All told, it needs to move to the right probably 5/16+ to be in it's correct location. When it's tightened down, there is no bindingwhen the wheel is spun by hand,nor excessive play either. The bike has around 85K on the clock and otherwise runs pretty good. Any insight?

Thanks, Frank

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Frank did you tighten the left clamp bolt before tightening the right axle nut?
That's the only thing I can see preventing it from going together like it was before you took it apart.

Edit: For brain fart.:shock:

If you fitted all parts that came off it should return to its origanal position.

Could you post a picture of the area of concern and a picture of the left end of the axle shaft?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

maybe excessive old grease packed in hard in the female spines preventing the drive flange fron going all the way in? Suprised the assembly is not rubbing on something like the brake caliper.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

When properly positioned, you'll still see near 1/4" of the machined lip that will fit into that cover exposed, especially as you now look for it on re-assymbly where as when taking apart, few takenotice and it's often not so shiney with grime and dust and dirt on it.

Did you re-insert and tighten the single 10mm headed retainer bolt after you twisted that dust cover into place?

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the feedback! I made sure that everything went back together super clean and lubed when I noticed the discrepancy, and then took it apart and retried it without the axle to see if that made a difference. Nothing. The distance to the swing arm @ the front is about 5/16- 3/8 so if it goes in farther, the clearance will decrease, but I also read on here that this is normally that distance. I just thought that it would go in at least a little farther, say 1/8 or so.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

I had the same feeling the first time I had my rear tire off. It just looks like it should go in farther but it was put together right.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks again! It looks like I'll take it apart ONE more time, make sure there isn't something I overlooked, put it together and call it good. Appreciate all the feedback!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Tightening sequence on the often removed bolts on a tire change/drive line lube job should be: Axle nut torqued to 65 ft/lbs, axle bolt tightened and last the 4 drive tube bolts at the final drive input end.
In my experience the dust shield doesn't cover the gap very well.
Bobby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.