Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I replaced the right side bearing. Got the rear wheel back on and the tire rubs just barely on the right side trailing arm and about 3/4 of a inch clearence on the left.. The bike was apart for a while and I probably got it back on wrong. I looked in the diagram from Honda direct and it only shows one spacer/collar (#2) on the left(brake) side and none on the right. Mine had two spacers and it seemed to go together with both spacers on the left. Maybe one spacer belongs on the right somewhere????:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

hello, you may have missed or mixed the spacers. on my signature you can find the link for the manuals. is better than honda direct diagrams.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

34Mike wrote:
I replaced the right side bearing. Got the rear wheel back on and the tire rubs just barely on the right side trailing arm and about 3/4 of a inch clearence on the left.. The bike was apart for a while and I probably got it back on wrong. I looked in the diagram from Honda direct and it only shows one spacer/collar (#2) on the left(brake) side and none on the right. Mine had two spacers and it seemed to go together with both spacers on the left. Maybe one spacer belongs on the right somewhere????:baffled:
There is a spacer tube (not shown here) on the right side that butts against the bearing right-side, and against something in the final drive. I do know that, wheel position (and wheel alignment) within the swing arms can be modified by changing the length of this tube; I have no idea what would happen if that tube were omitted (never done it), or...perhaps inadvertently swapped with the bearing spacer tube (#4)? :baffled:

You seem to have lost quite a bit of position there, by your description, and I cannot imagine the cause...except...if the replacement bearing was narrower than the OEM bearing, or if that (#4) tube were omitted? Everything is designed so that when the axle nut is torqued, the tension is on the inner bearing races and the spacers, and the wheel will be drawn to the right, or final-drive, side.

There are two (2) of those left side spacers (#2) on the GL1200 models, and they are apparently identical, though the other one appears on another ass'y view somewhere, but with identical part numbers. One goes against the left-side bearing inner race (small end in), then the caliper boss, then the other (#2) spacer, but reversed, so that the two large ends are against either side of the caliper boss.:waving:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Baffled but happy.:) I pulled the wheel for inspection and everything looked good. I put the wheel back on and now have about 1/8th inch clearence. Rode it about 40 miles stopping every 10 and checking tire temp from side to side and all seems good. I rode down a road with lots of "Whoop-Dee-Do's and could hear the tire scrape on the bottoms but just slightly.I may try a little more air in the tire, shocks or both. Either way it looks like I will be going on my planned ride through the Texas hill country next week. :cool:I'll ride it about 600 miles this week to make sure everything is up to par. Thanks Guys for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.