Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 interstate rectifier starts to get a little warm after only a short period of time of the bike running. The battery is new and holds it's charge but after a while of running it struggles to kick over the engine. I put it on charge again and hey presto the bike fires up cleanly. My question is this: is the rectifier goosed or is there another issue I'm missing. Any and all info/opinions greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
If the rectifier/regulator is getting hot the stator is working. What you need to check is if the charge is getting to the battery or is it all being shunted to ground because it has nowhere else to go, that will cause the reg/rec to get hot quickly. With a volt meter attached to the battery read the voltage with the key off then start the engine and see if the voltage goes up. If not there is a problem somewhere between the reg/rec and the battery. Most common is the connection on top of the starter solenoid.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I second what Dave said but I would add this. The regulator rectifier on those bikes do tend to get pretty warm. The problem you describe about the starter is usually the starter itself. Those starters are sealed up tight and with wear all the dust and crud tend to cause issues in them> I think you will find lot's of issues similar to yours if you search the website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.