Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are the rectifiers on 1984-87 GL1200's interchangeable? The appear to look the same but the part numbers are different. Thanks. WyoWinger :waving:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Yes they are. The one for the SEi and LTD can also be used, they only have an extra wire for the differentidiot warning light on the display.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. My buddy's 1985 GL1200 has a bad one and we were shopping on ebay for one but couldn't find one for his specific bike. Thanks. WyoWinger

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

A recent post made mention that certain 86/87 1200 models had 500 watt alternators, instead of the usual 300 watt units. I wouldn't hesitate usinga rectifier from a 500 watt system on one with the lower output. But you may want to think two or three times about going the other way.

Unless you can verify the capacity of the individual rectifiers, you may want to stick to model year specific parts.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Shooter is right. You can use a sei reggy on ANY model 1200, but using a standard 1200 reg on a sei might cause problems as the unit is sealed and can't be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have a 1986 Aspencade. How do you tell which ones have the 500w or 300w alternators? Do the SEI's have the 500w and the rest have 300w? Thanks. WyoWinger

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Vague memory says Honda had a service bulletin on an improved regulator, thus the different part number. If the cooling fin area on both the regulators is the same, they should interchange. The charging voltage is the same on both. If it happens to go to, say, 15.5 well, ... :D

PS The voltage is adjustable... just not easily adjustable

V.I.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Does any one have the part number for the improved rectifier that Dave was refering to? Thanks WyoWinger :waving:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Check with dealer or on a lark, try servicehonda.com, although Ive found them impossible to deal with, they wont return communications.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The local Honda dealer is a joke!!! They sell 2 wheel tractors, aka Harleys, but know nothing about Hondas!!! I'll tryan out of town dealer. Thanks for the heads up on the tech bulletin. WyoWinger :waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

There are only two types of reg fitted to ALL GL1200s. One is PN 31700-124-003 (Stanley type) and the other is 31700-124-008 (Shengai I think). They were both fitted to the 1984 & 85 models but the Stanley one was the only one fitted to the 1986 & 87 models, including the Sei and Ltd. The regulators weren't changed by Honda as far as I know, they just dropped the oddball named one and stuck with the Stanley.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yeah, they issued the bulletin for electrical noise in the radio and it didnt do a bit of good. This was the era that the bad wiring started showing up. Sure, changing the regulator helped - so did just unplugging the old one and reconnecting it a few times. Id noticed lots of electrical problems, poor engine performance, backfiring (an engine backfire destroyed the digital clock in the dash) and that prompted me to design the electrical system harness. Old regulator worked perfectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.