Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one installed a relay to power the coils, any good reason why some one would have done that? I'm getting 12v to coils when key is on.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Some one installed a relay to power the coils, any good reason why some one would have done that? I'm getting 12v to coils when key is on.
Check the rest of system as it pertains to the relay. Someone may have installed a harness kit, so removing or bypassing it may cause charging system problems. In one of those kits, they used the relay to give the voltage regulator a signal. Careful.
As far as more voltage to the coils.........
I've always thought it was a good idea on the 1500's. They seem to suffer starting problems more easily than other models, BUT...the coils are designed to fire in a tolerance of voltage ranges. Do you get a better spark at 6,000 rpm when the stator voltage drives to 14.5v, than you do at idle when the voltage is at it's minimum? Don't think so.
As long as you're able to get 9.6X volts to the coils, they'll fire just fine. Some of this stuff is just feel good. Some of it is required. I have never heard of ignition problems on the 1200, other than dirty/corroded connectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.