Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i need to get a new tire put on my 84 aspencade.the motorcycle shops in my area want a 100.00 just to pull it off and put it back on.

So how hard is it for me to take off?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

It's a BITCH!!!!!!!

But you'll live.......

It's not too bad, rather self expanitory, but you should read all you can on looking out for spacer positions, Bearings, Drive line issues, make sure you use Molly 60 on the rear when you put it back together along with new gear oil.

There's a lot of benefit to doing the work yourself, you can check all the things and maintain all the items that meed doing while your there. Versus a garage who may not want to work on old bikes, so they will just remove the wheel and put it back on.

EDIT: By the way, I assume your talking rear wheel, since the front wheel is just a few bolts.....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I just removed the rear tire from my '85 LTD yesterday. Piece of cake, took about 15 minutes (after removing the wheel) and taking my time. All I had for tools were 2 10" tire irons and a can of WD-40 for lubricant. It will take about the same time to install the new tire when it arrives.

Now balancing, that is another matter. While it is easy, it can be very time consuming. It has taken me over an hour to balance some motorcycle tires, but that is because I am a perfectionist, and I want it perfect.

There are many online tutorials about motorcycle tire changing, including several videos on YouTube. If you are having to put a lot of effort into it, or feel you need 24" tire irons, you are doing something wrong.

Oh BTW, since you have an '84, check the right side wheel bearing while you have the wheel off, just to make sure it is not loose in the wheel.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info but i was looking for a answer on how to remove the rear tire and wheel off the bike

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

That is in the manual. If you are wanting a shop to remove the rear wheel and put it back, no wonder they want $100. I put the bike on the centerstand, on a concrete floor, removed both saddlebags, and the left saddlebag bracket, along with the little short plastic piece on the end of the rear fender, and the rear bumper bar that wraps around behind the rear tire. That gave me good access to the shock lower mounts. You remove both lower shock mount bolts, and separate the shocks from the swingarm, then push them back and out of the way. Then loosen the axle nut, and the clamp nut on the left side, remove the axle nut, and jack up the swingarm until the axle will clear the left side exhaust. Now pull out the axle with one hand while holding the wheel with your other hand. Once the axle is out, there is a spacer between the swing arm and brake caliper bracket, and another spacer between the bracket and wheel. Remove the caliper/bracket, and both spacers, and tie the caliper bracket up out of the way. Now move the wheel to the left and disengage it from the splines on the gearcase and pull it out from under the bike. Time consuming but easy

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

me and mow wrote:
i need to get a new tire put on my 84 aspencade.the motorcycle shops in my area want a 100.00 just to pull it off and put it back on.

So how hard is it for me to take off?
$100 is not unreasonable to Re&Re your rear wheel.
Either they remove both saddle bags and rear fender, if they have a lift with a drop out the rear fender can be left in place. Then they remove the lower shock bolts, swing the shocks back and lift the wheel and swing arm high enough to get the axle out over the muffler or they remove the exhaust system.

You can do it yourself but allow a ½hr out and another ½hr in.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

If you have a modicum of mechanical ability and some good tools, it's an interesting job that can be done in one afternoon. A helper makes it a LOT easier.
Since it has probably been a long time, it would be goodto pull the final drive and lube the drive shaft while you're in there.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'd go with dyna beads and r&r the tire while your at it. Less work than taking the tire off and on and your there getting dirtty anyway so why not
Wilf

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
I'd go with dyna beads and r&r the tire while your at it. Less work than taking the tire off and on and your there getting dirtty anyway so why not
Wilf
:?I thought the question was about removing and installing the wheel.
The tyre change and balancing whether with weights inside or outside the tyre would be done by the shop.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Hey no problem it will take you about 3 hours..hour to take it off an hour to put it on and an hour and ten bucks to take it to the shop and have new tire put on. another 4 bucks for the 2 oz of dyna beads..prices are steve saunders members prices at shop in queen creek.:waving:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
imported post

I had an '86 SEi before and I found it much easier to remove the rear wheel by actually laying the bike on its side.After removing thebolts and axle and tying the caliper to the frame, I put some cardboard down, carefully eased the bike down on its right side crashbars, then was able to get the wheel and tire out from between the saddlebag mounts. It was difficult getting it back up, only because I had to pick it back up onto the center stand. I was able to do it, but a nap set in soon after.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Having recently done it by myself I would pay $100 (or even a bit more) to have a shop do it. It may have just been a bad few days but it took many hours and caused a lot of frustration :( Now in fairness I didn't have a shop manual (only Chylmer which left a lot of gaps) and didn't have the link above for 1200 removal (was using link from 1100 which is similar but not the same). Anyway just my $0.02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.