Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the timing belts on my 1200 today. Using the video made it a simple job. The only two problems I had were first my timing belt covers didn't lift right off, I had to pry them off. The other problem I had is every time I flipped the wrench I would fumble around trying to catch it and it would end up smacking the fender. :?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Been there. Yea, sometimes people glue the covers on with RTV, or they just stick from not being off for a long time. I normally put a rag on the fender to protect it.

Bill

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Hey that's my project coming up. How long did it take ya?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I replaced the timing belts on my 1200 today. Using the video made it a simple job. The only two problems I had were first my timing belt covers didn't lift right off, I had to pry them off. The other problem I had is every time I flipped the wrench I would fumble around trying to catch it and it would end up smacking the fender. :?
It gets easier after you've done the job about 34 times. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I always tie a large towel around the forks and covering the front fender first. Secondly I loosen the lower bolts and then pull the radiator forward 1" or so to help with some extra wiggle room, no need to drain/remove it though.

As for stuck covers I have found a sharp tap on a bottom corner with the rubber mallet helps to 'persuade' them to come loose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is actually an easy job if you fallow the video. I am not sure how long it actually took for the belts. When I started I found my battery tender got unplugged so my battery was dead. I added water cleaned connections and hooked up the charger. I then started removing covers and as I did I checked, cleaned or did maintenance on on anything I could get to along the way. After I put everything back together I found my radiator had sprung a leak on the top seam. On my last ride I could smell a slight hit of coolant, so leak found. I had that repaired and put it back. Found my front brake was now hanging do I fooled with that a little and looked the speedometer cable since my needle jumps. Those are projects for another weekend. I would guess if I would have just did the belts it would have taken about two hours. I could do it on less next time. It was cold and I had nothing to do all weekend so I stretched it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing that is mentioned but not shown in the video is, when you are putting the belt on the right side you need to hold the right pulley on the mark with a wrench while you put the belt on. It is a little challenging so I see why it isn't shown,he would have needed more hand to hold the camera. Tension on that side is also a little more difficult.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just changed my belts for the first time ever for me. Steve's video was a very big help. I strugled a little with the left side belt. Only because for some reason I kept trying to put it on one tooth off?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good job

I'll be changing mine on my 1100 very soon. I've watched the video and read how to do it so I'm feeling prepared. The only thing I'm not sure of is the amount of deflection on the belts. Everything says to adjust the tension but doesn't say what the deflection should be. Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you try and rotate the belt on the long side you should be able to turn it about a quarter of a turn. The belt would be standing straight up. It would have to be forced to twist it more. V

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maintenance Question ?????

Retired auto technician (40 yrs) . Guess I could call Honda and find out , but what would be the recommended mileage for timing belt replacement ? '84 GL1200 Aspy. Mileage is 45 k.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Rixxrdz, The recommended mileage is 75k but I would be more worried about age of the belt. If you don't know when the last time they were changed, I would just change them, $20 is cheap insurance against a bent valve or worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TIMING BELTS ! ! !

what about belts, tensioners etc.???

do I have to use OEM belts??? can I use a parts store gates belts or K&L online???
do the tensioners or springs need to be replaced???

any info would be helpful!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
If you don't know when they were last changed, or how old they are, change them.

While you have everything opened up, look it over and fix anything that needs to be fixed.

Gates are ok to use. Somewhere there is a list of good part numbers to use, but I can't find it at the moment. When I changed my belts, I didn't replace the tensioners, but if they are whining, it might be time to do it.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
The Gates part# is: T070, I just got mine from rock auto for $20.20 delivered to my door. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.