Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am curious what brand is the best or last longest as i have a stock bike am noot looking to add a runway worth of lights on it....but does higher amps work better?

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Hello Storm and Welcome . I can not say as to what brand or sizing if you replace the stator .

Many folks have left the factory stator DOA and rather than pull the engine to replace it , added a poor boy conversion . This is the addition of a small auto alternator . Here is one link I found with a quick search and there is more info here and other sites should this conversion interest you . : poorboy alternator conversion - Goldwing Technical Forum - Forums - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

If you're not gonna add much, the stock system should do ya... In all my reading glhonda has had the most success with changing stator's as he's changed about 5 I believe on different GL1200's and had no failure's yet using Rick's Stator's. Here's a link:

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

If it were me, I'd be changing the regulator also just to be safe! Here's a link to where you can get the OEM Shindengen model:

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/

As far as increasing the stator wattage?? I'd stay with the OEM 360 watt output as I think you'll have a problem later with the regulator not being able to handle the additional wattage,,,, Oh, and one more thing.. Make sure you solder ALL the regulator and stator connections!!:cool:

Good luck with her!!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi storm714, for me I removed the faulty stator and had it rewound and saved a lot of $$ by needing to have one sent out,(to NZ) but perhaps where you are a replacement stator is the way to go. Do check the standard electrical/stator "mods" tho for the 1200,(on this fabulous site) or you may find yourself needing to replace again down the track, as you are probably finding, not the best thing to need to do.....(replace the clutch seals tho with the engine out..) My understanding is that if you choose not to go with the alternator mod (and with LED lighting technology,maybe it is not necessary) the LTD uses a higher wattage stator which you can fit, but has a different regulator, so you you would have to replace both, and possibly some wiring (a guru will chime in to let you know this I am sure), but, as the output of the stator is maximum at all times,(unlike the 1500 and up which has a "fair dinkum" alternator) do run your electrics up to the maximum output of your system, that way the stator does not run hot (as the unused current is grounded to the frame of the bike, and the heat generated can assist in shortening the life of the stator). You may wish to install a voltmeter also to "keep an eye" on things as you go.

Good luck..!!
groutby

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I replaced mine this past spring with RICKs unit, also cut out the plug and soldered wires to a "new" regulator and battery. Don't forget about the old fuse - I did that mod also. no regrets..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.