Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. I recently purchased an 84 Aspencade with 14,101 miles on it. It has the "flat" GL1200 rotor covers on it. The other day while looking through eBay, I saw an 85 GL1200 with what looks like GL1500 rotor covers on it. (picture attached) Does anyone know if this is possible. It must be since this one has it. Just didn't know if anyone has ever tried it before. I cannot stand the look of the "flat" covers and want something a little different. Any comments????

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think they are 1500 covers, might be some aftermarket stuff. Why don't you contact the eBay member he might be able to clue you in?

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Here is a link to the eBay item. It ended several days ago so it won't be on there too much longer. Sure looks like GL1500 covers to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4550156160&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Mr.1200: I am going to give it a try. I have ordered a set of covers. I'll post my results.

EXAVID: I did contact the seller and he is not the original owner and he did not put them on so he has no idea what they are or how they were put on.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Mr1200, in the picture that you attached in your earlier post, it appears that the rotor cover is positioned too far forward and is not evenly spaced as compared to the rim. Is this a normal thing with fitting these to the GL1200?

I have a set of these that I am trying to fit and have found that a portion of the cover hits on the lower part of the caliper. (See attached picture. Red arrow indicates area that hits on caliper.) Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

These are the late style covers for the GL1500. Does anyone know if the standard GL1500 covers are made differently in this area and would possibly give me more clearance.

I can make the cover fit if I push it forward and **** it down in the back but then the cover is not centered as compared to the rim and tends to look a little silly. As I said, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Thanks for posting the comparison picture. I had thought about later model covers for my 1500 but now decided that the present older style look better.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Mr1200, did you try both sets or just the late model set? As my earlier picture shows, that bike that was on eBay has the early model covers on and they seem to fit. Looks like in your post, the early models might have a little extra room compared to the late models in the area where my red arrow is pointing.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I ordered a set of late model style GL1500 rotor covers in an attempt to install them on my 84 GL1200 Aspencade. I found that there are two areas that hit on the caliper and will not allow the installation unles you want to cut. I ordered a set of early model GL1500 covers and they just came in. Holding them up to my bike, with only a slight modification, they will fit. There is so much more room for the calipers in the early style than there is in the late model style. I will post a picture of the installation as soon as it is complete.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

OK! Here it is. I got the Early Model GL1500 Rotor Covers installed on my 84 GL1200 Aspencade. It turned out to be a very simple install. The hardest part was getting the old GL1200 "flat" rotor covers off. Had to pull the front wheel to do so. I had to fabricate 2 brackets to hold the lower part and I had to run to Ace Hardware to pick up some bolts but other than that, it was fairly simple. I used 3/8" x 1" Stainless Steel Allen Head bolts for the lower attach points and Stainless Steel Ny-Lock nuts to secure them. Now I am ready to add my Ring of Fire to the rotor covers. They should be here next week.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

They are not quite centered but when you look at it from a distance it is not all that noticeable.

I have not used the top hole yet and am considering making some sort of "dummy" mount for it.

What I did was on the very bottom of the forks there are two nuts that hold the axel to the forks. I removed the front nut on each side. I fabricated an "L" bracket that would attach to this point and down to the front hole in the rotor cover. I attached the rotor cover to the bracket using a 3/8" dia 1" long S/S Alen Bolt with a Ny-Lock nut on the back side. The back hole just has the bolt and nut in it for looks so there was not an empty hole. I then attached the back fender wrap to the fender using a small sheet metal screwfrom the inside of the fender and picking up the existing screw hole in the wrap. I then set the wrap to the rotor cover and drilled asmall hole on the top and secured thewrap to the cover using a polished S/S pan head sheet metal screw.

It is a very clean looking install and the cover is very tight. It will not flex or vibrate in the wind. I took it for a ride and got up to 75 and there was no vibration and the rotor cover did not move at all. I am considering some sort of polished spacer and a S/S Cap Screw to fill the hole at the top. I will post another pictureonce it is complete with instructions on what I did to fill the hole. I will also repost once I have the RoF installed.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
imported post

Looking at your bike I noticed the chrome side covers in front of the plastic battery cover. I have an 84 interstate and have been looking for those covers. Any idea where to get them? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

TrainerTim wrote:
Looking at your bike I noticed the chrome side covers in front of the plastic battery cover. I have an 84 interstate and have been looking for those covers. Any idea where to get them? Thanks
Are you referring to the engine covers? If so, they are not chrome but are painted to match the bike. Here is a side view of my bike so you can better see them. If this is what you are talking about, I do not know where to find a set. I saw a set on eBay a few weeks ago and they went for over $400.00. I guess they are kinda hard to find from what I have been told.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
imported post

Sorry looked chrome in the top picture. Nice looking bike. Just bought mine this spring and have some cosmetic fixing to do. Think it will be a good winter project. But am enjoying driving so far. I am not sure if they even make the covers for the interstate, I have not had much success looking for them on the internet so far. Happy Riding.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Keep watch on eBay. That seems to be a fairly decent place to find parts. Maybe someone else will chime in here and tell you if these covers will fit on the Interstate. I do not know. You might look at this site:

http://www.damagedbikes.com/goldwing.htm

Shoot them an email. They seem to have lots of parts. Feel free to copythe picture of my bike and send to them so they know exactly what you are looking for. If I happen to run across a set, I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.