Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the rear wheel/drive of my 84 GL1200 replacing tire, lube splines, fix wheel bearing, etc. I checked the thickness on the rear rotor and it is 5.6 mm. I know that this is 0.4 mm below the spec limit of 6.0 mm. I am trying to limit how much more I spend on the bike at this time so I was wondering how thin have people run the rear rotor until they discovered it was out of spec, and if they had any noticeable problems.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
My rear rotor also on an 84 is down to 5.1mm and I've not noticed any problems.
I do have a new rotor sitting on the bench, just haven't taken the time to install it.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
If it had a problem it would be in warping. So if you start feeling a nasty vibration out of the pedal you'll know what it is, otherwise ride on :waving:.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It does not seem to have any warping. I will be replacing the pads, since they look a little thin.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The only thing I'd check with a thin rotor and thin pad is to be sure to clean the caliper pistons when putting new pads on since there'd be a goodly length of piston wall exposed in that condition.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul,
Good reminder I had not thought about. I should always remember doing the piston cleaning because I did not do this once (only the first time) on the front brakes on my new 84 650 Nighthawk and then the brakes would drag. I eventually took them apart to clean everything up and replaced the seals, which resolved the self created problem.
Lee

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
My rear rotor got so thin that OEM pads wouldn't work. I had to use the thicker EBC pads on it, or the metal part of the pad would rub the unworn part of the rotor.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Stopping is better than starting..... if it is out of spec change it, these things usually fail when you need them most.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.