Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

my 84 aspy seemed to have a fair bit of rumbling going on at low revs and vibration was wasting power,top speed about 85 with a tail wind, and no power low revs due to vibration. So, I came by an almost complete engine at a breakers I know with different heads on it .Mine has the pulse air pipes thru the heads and reed valves etc under the carbs. The "new" one has the 4 pulse air channels blocked off on the top of the heads(maybe from another country without the strict emission laws ?) So I taped up all the pipe ends from the reed box,slow air valve etc. I hope I,m not wasting your time, I m coming to the conclusion that I,ll have to take the carbs off again and check all the rubber pipe connections, I,ve got the Haynes manual, although it doesnt explain much about how every part works it shows how it fits together. But theres no mention of heads without the pulse air pipes,(they,re the 4 chrome ones that have an "o" ring on and push into the heads before the intake pipes go back on to connect the carbs to the heads)

So anyway the big ends on the "new" engine are much better. It,ll pull in overdrive(top gear) from right low down and now does 90 or so without a tail wind. And finally the main point of my ramble- it,s running rich ,wasnt before,even with the mixture (pilot) screws in to 1/2 a turn out as opposed to the normal 3 turns out or so,same air filter in ,I,m going to renew it to see if theres any improvement although it looks new and the previous owner a year ago said he,d replaced it.

If anyone has the time and stamina to read through this short novel I can only say you have my thanks and admiration .Any replies greatly appreciated And If I can pay by Paypal a modest donation will be on its way bye for now

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts
imported post

The carbs are likely jetted differently for the different engines. If you have or can get the carbs for the engine you bought and either change them out or just change the jets it will probably fix it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

thanks Dave for the quick reply I,ll think about getting the next smaller jets

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Absolutely guessing but can you tell by the serial numer the year of the engine on the 1200?I know you can on the 1000's and 11's. the reason I ask is it possible the engine you got was setup for EFI and not carbs and that is why the heads are different?? The 85 LTD's and the 86 SEI's were the EFI 1200's if I recall correctly.

Like I said just a wild thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.