Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a bad fuel problem checked the fuel pump and found a wire not connected on the inside. Connected it and had smoke coming out of the fuel pump relay. The fule pump relay has 3 wires hooked to it a black wire that goes to the ignition switch, a blue/yellow wire that goes to the coils thru the ECU,a white wire that goes to the fuel pump. The relay has 3 posts their is continuity between the center post (black wire) and the blue/yellow wire their is no continuity between the center post (black wire) and the white wire. I have spliced the white wire to the black wire and the fuel pump works.

My problem now is that I can take the plug wire off #2, 3, 4 cylinders with the bike running leaving #1 on and the bike stays running.

I have tested the coils with an OHM meter and they test within specks. Also tested with the plug wires on and they test within specks. If you stick a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and ground it on the motor #2, 3 will let you know their is spark:shock: #4 has spark but not as strong.

Any help would be appreciated:waving:

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

Has it been sitting a long time? The carbs may be plugged up and the cylinders are not getting fuel. #1&2 fire from the same coil and #3&4 from the other coil so if one is firing the other should also. If one is weaker as you mentioned #4 is there is too much resistance in the wire or the plug cap.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I put new plugs in 2 weeks ago. Gapped at 32. when I take out the plugs

#1 is brown

#2 is black wet with a little oil

#3 is wet and looks brand new

#4 is wet and looks brand new

The resistence between the coil and through the plug wire is within specks.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

Take all 4 plugs out and connect the wires to them and rest them on the heads and crank it over and see how the spark looks.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Check or replace plug boots or the resistors inside them as well. they get weak over time & that kills spark as well.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I'm suprised that it would run on one cyclinder. Engine must be in good condition.

Reading plugs off an idling bike that has been sitting around for awhile won't tell you anything.

Take the bike for a fairly long ride. Pick a quiet area to do this test. While your driving along, pull in the clutch and using the kill switch, shut the engine off & coast to a stop. Take the plugs out one at time & check the colour.

This type of test will give you a better indication of what is going on. If bike hasn't been running for a long time it will take some time for the rings to loosen up and do their job. Be patient before you start tearing into stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.