Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have had my 1200 about 6 years now and I have been having alot of pain from arthritis in my hips and my riding position that used to be comfy is not doing its job anymore...I feel cramped and was wondering if I can change seats to get it to set back a good bit farther..behind the seat and on the hump is about right..there I can stretch out and be more comfy...just need to stretch out and take the pressure of my hip joints..I also have a yamaha v-star 1300 with driver floorboards...how can I get a similiar riding position on my goldwing...that does sound like a big change but can it be done...or close to it..any help would be appreciated very much...thanks in advance, Dave p.s. I do have highway pegs on the case savers and they do help but would like another option...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Dave
If you have floor boards, they spread your legs wider than pegs do.
I found that was happening to me when I received my 1500 that had floor boards on it. I had severe hip pain and leg cramps and thought the same way, moving backwards would help. I put on pegs instead. No more pain(there in the hips). Much more comfortable.
If that is not your case, you can have a seat made for you to fit, especially if you are long legged. If you ride 2up that will cut into the rear seat area, but you can get a trunk relocator kit to move that back a couple inches.
Hope that helps.
God Bless

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i had my seat redone dave cost me about 250ish bucks but i tell ya its nice to be able to basically sit halfway where the passanger would sit

i dont haul a passanger and never will i built this bike for me to ride only lol

anyway what he did basically was make the whole seat the height of the riders position because under the riders spot is the seat pan a hunk of plastic not many options, other than redo the seat or find a corbin seat good luck

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

I knew when I read the head line of this post that he was talking about a 1200, I have the same problem. No pain, but only been doing short rides. I have the seat all the way back and if I put my feet on the pegs I have to hold my right foot up or ride the brakes all the time, the left foot is better but I wish the pegs were a few inches lower. Pegs on the engine guard (which I do not have)seem to far out to ride comfortably for me on short runs, maybe on the highway on long rides but I like my feet near the controls for safety reasons.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

One of the reasons I got the cafe racer seat off ebay for my 1100, a lot more comfortable being able to sit a bit further back

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I also have the same issue. The seat feels fine in relation to the bars, but the pegs are too far back. They cannot be moved forward because the engine gets in the way, one of the few problems with the GL design. Also, I am used to riding cruisers, with much more forward mounted pegs, and like that riding position, especially when combined with a riders backrest. But, the Goldwing is SO much better than my Ninja 500 that I'm not going to complain to much about it

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Your engine is too wide.

As much as I love these bikes, its the cause of that problem. I would like to use my highway boards more, but Honda reduced the braking avalible on my hand lever to help save those who don't use it the right way.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...the only problem with any of the feet-forward stuff on a GL is that the valve covers get H-O-T.

I'm working on something for my 1000 and post pics when it's done. Should work roughly the same for all 4-cylinders.

The standard crossbar above the oil filter doesn't do it for me. Cooks my calves.

The footrests that attach to the valve covers are horrible looking IMO and a no-go either.

As for the seat issue, I recut the foam on a existing seat and moved my position back 2"-3". That worked fine for me. Proportionately long-armed and short-legged.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Rearrainging things will help but you might try a sheep skin .?
Backrests , footboards , all are great but i found that as long as my ass was comfortable the rest seemed to be ok.
The simple sheep skin on the seat will support , let breath , and most importantly smooth out the latent curves and ball busting front area of the seat.
Try it , its cheap .

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Man I am 6'4 and I just put those Kuryakan Long Horns on and wow what a diff.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Dave
If you have floor boards, they spread your legs wider than pegs do.
I found that was happening to me when I received my 1500 that had floor boards on it. I had severe hip pain and leg cramps and thought the same way, moving backwards would help. I put on pegs instead. No more pain(there in the hips). Much more comfortable.
If that is not your case, you can have a seat made for you to fit, especially if you are long legged. If you ride 2up that will cut into the rear seat area, but you can get a trunk relocator kit to move that back a couple inches.
Hope that helps.
God Bless
I have pegs also ..thanks for the post..know any one who could make a seatthat would be far enough back to take the pressure off my legs and hips...if I ride up on the hump it feels perfect...except it sits up to high...must be something I can do it to get my seat back further..I have a custom cloth seat on it now and have the stock seat also...I might try to modify one of them myself to getmy seating position back far enough to be comfortable...have any suggestions on how to do that...thanks again, Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i had my seat redone dave cost me about 250ish bucks but i tell ya its nice to be able to basically sit halfway where the passanger would sit

i dont haul a passanger and never will i built this bike for me to ride only lol

anyway what he did basically was make the whole seat the height of the riders position because under the riders spot is the seat pan a hunk of plastic not many options, other than redo the seat or find a corbin seat good luck

Thanks for the post peterbilt...I ride my lady on it some..but will take her on my vstar if I get the seat modified... man you had the seat done like I want it...I have an aftermarket cloth seat on it and also have the stock seat...maybe someone could modify one or the other. and if my arthritis gets better I can use the other one, thats what I'm hoping...I would spend the money like you did...is that person available todo mine by chance...where is it located...thanks again...Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I knew when I read the head line of this post that he was talking about a 1200, I have the same problem. No pain, but only been doing short rides. I have the seat all the way back and if I put my feet on the pegs I have to hold my right foot up or ride the brakes all the time, the left foot is better but I wish the pegs were a few inches lower. Pegs on the engine guard (which I do not have)seem to far out to ride comfortably for me on short runs, maybe on the highway on long rides but I like my feet near the controls for safety reasons.
The way it is now I am so uncomfortable with the riding postition..the seat needs to be back alot...if I ride up on the hump it is perfect except its to high. I am trying to figure out how I can modify the seat to get it back there so I can stretch out...may do it myself, or if I can find someone to do it reasonable, just let them do it...thanks for the post...talk later, Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

TrikerBo wrote:
One of the reasons I got the cafe racer seat off ebay for my 1100, a lot more comfortable being able to sit a bit further back
Yep that wouldwork..I believe I will have my seat modified..if it would go back 6 to 8 inches my riding position would be great...if I ride on the hump it is about perfect except its to high...thanks for the post...talk later..be safe , Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I also have the same issue. The seat feels fine in relation to the bars, but the pegs are too far back. They cannot be moved forward because the engine gets in the way, one of the few problems with the GL design. Also, I am used to riding cruisers, with much more forward mounted pegs, and like that riding position, especially when combined with a riders backrest. But, the Goldwing is SO much better than my Ninja 500 that I'm not going to complain to much about it
Yep, pegs are to far back and seat is to far forward..I am going to try and get my seat modified to sit back further..thanks for the post...be safe..Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
Your engine is too wide.

As much as I love these bikes, its the cause of that problem. I would like to use my highway boards more, but Honda reduced the braking avalible on my hand lever to help save those who don't use it the right way.

Bill
Yes. engine is to wide. pegs are to far back and seat is to far forward..Im going to try and get the seat modified to have it back further so I can stretch out some..thanks for the post...be safe, Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
i have pegs on the case guards and i agree with jobe, not very safe. i read a post on here a few weeks ago that had somebody putting forward controls on a gl, available here http://www.northweststuff.com/jimscustoms/forwardfootcontrols.htm the thread is here http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=117324&forum_id=1&highlight=forward+controls
Think I will get my seat modified to sit farther back where I can stretch out...yes highway pegs arent very safe imo...will check out this forward foot controls...thanks for posting...be safe, Dave

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
...the only problem with any of the feet-forward stuff on a GL is that the valve covers get H-O-T.

I'm working on something for my 1000 and post pics when it's done. Should work roughly the same for all 4-cylinders.

The standard crossbar above the oil filter doesn't do it for me. Cooks my calves.

The footrests that attach to the valve covers are horrible looking IMO and a no-go either.

As for the seat issue, I recut the foam on a existing seat and moved my position back 2"-3". That worked fine for me. Proportionately long-armed and short-legged.

...Can you tell me exactly how youcut the foam and moved it back..I think that is what I need to do..I have a aftermarket seat plus the original..I could do one and see how it works...thanks for the post and please get back with me oncutting the foam...thank, be safe..Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.