Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having quite a time with my seat. (The bike seat, not my seat) I can ride for about 60 miles and then my a$$ is hurting so bad that I can't stand it and have to stop. For some reason, this seat is very uncomfortable to me. I had a 79 wing and I remember riding it a lot further without any discomfort. For some reason, I cannot do that on this bike.

I have looked into aftermarket seats but I cannot afford almost $1000.00 for the Corbin. Does anyone have a low cost solution that could possibly help me out?

I would love to be able to ride a lot further but it is just so uncomfortable that I can't. I don't even attempt to start out on a ride that is much over 75 to 100 miles for this reason.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I loved my seat (the bike, not mine!!/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif)  as it was nicely cloth covered ... and went well with the bike... but it was older and getting firmer../forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif.   I found a car seat upholstery guy who was "hungry"  in January... and for $90 or so ,  he removed the cloth, carved a u-shaped hole for a bike  seat gel I had found at a 10 speed shop (about $15) ...  stretched  a thin foam, over the glued in gel, and re-attached the nice cloth ...  Tres comfy. my tush sinks partially into the gel........ and when I add a sheepskin to it .. I can ride all day...  (I too was  apalled at the cost of  a new Corbin, or DayLong sad/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gifdle... and the cost of re-building the present seat was almost as much... $700 around here..../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.. all the things on the passenger, back rest , etc ALSO have to  be recovered..!!! ) If the old seat had been ratty.. I might have sprung for a new saddle... but it was in pretty good shape. Three other choices :  1)  many upholsters will re-cover just the seat for a lot less , in an almost matching fabric... I had  THAT done on my old SilverWing, with outdoor winter "Skidoo" fabric,  a sort of leatherette ......and it looked great../forums/images/emoticons/wink.gif. and it was even less when I agreed that I did NOT want  a bill ( I guess he doesn't like the tax man any more than I do....)or 2) a nice bushy  sheepskin (about $25 for just a small section on the front .. and a piece of dense foam (go to an upholstery shop  and let him choose the density )   about 3/4 inch  glued  or velcrowed to back of said sheepskin is also quite comfy...  have done that for my passenger, and she loves it ./forums/images/emoticons/dude.gif. 3) two members of my riding club have re-covered their own seats... You do have to get the right foam, and maybe a professional cover from Dennis Kirk ,or somewhere.. but they both said it was easy ... just time consuming ...  with an electric knife, and a lot of patience. or could take the old cover in to an upholsterly shop, and have them cut and stitch the saddle design.. and you install it...../forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif...   SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

[align=left][line][sub][sup]While it is my opinion especially for taller riders ] that an aftermarket seat is the best solution, many are hesitant to spend that much. A good place to start would be the Aqua-Aire seat pad which sells in the $30 to $40 range. I have been an advocate of the Airhawk Seat Pad for the last two years. It has been an excellent pad though it is $150 plus shipping.

Recently, someone on one of the boards mentioned using the Aqua Air Seat Pad and for the price of $30 including shipping, along with a [cheap] carry bag. I had been playing around with my Diamond Seat to find the best height and decided to try this out to see what it could do. Before it got here, I perfected my seat and so will not be using this on the Wing. However, I did try it out and here is what I found.

The AA pad offers a combination of water and air support. The pad is larger than the Airhawk and about the same size as the Airvent offering full "big butt" support. So far, so good. But this is where the AA excells. It does not taper in the front so it hangs over the tapered part of the seat, moreso on stock than on my Diamond. This gives the added thigh support that most of us "oldwingers" appreciate and need. This pad is definitely more comfortable for me than the Airhawk, but since I have an Airhawk, I tried it out on top of the AA. Very Good! If you can take the added height and already own an AH, adding the AA underneath might be a good idea. I would choose the AA over the AH if I were to do it all over again. WARNING!!!! YOUR BUTT MY DIFFER.

Recommendations: If you are not satisfied with your seating position now, this would be a relatively inexpensive way to start. It will raise you up 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch depending on how much water and air you add. If you find it does not work as a motorcycle seat you can always use it in the office, around the house or as a stadium pad.]

Here is what one rider emailed me about his that he uses on the stock seat: Quote: I thought I would never get comfort on this GW....I looked high and low...from airhawk, to gel-pad...I think I have tried them all. I was ready to fork big dollars of a Diamond seat, and then this aqua-aire cushion came along and changed my ride for ever. I now ride for hours on end without any discomfort. Daniel...there is a God after all.

You can see a picture here:[line]
[/sup][/sub][/align]
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=145486#145486

More information about the Airhawk can be found in the link in my signature.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
I am having quite a time with my seat. (The bike seat, not my seat) I can ride for about 60 miles and then my a$$ is hurting so bad that I can't stand it and have to stop. For some reason, this seat is very uncomfortable to me. I had a 79 wing and I remember riding it a lot further without any discomfort. For some reason, I cannot do that on this bike.

I have looked into aftermarket seats but I cannot afford almost $1000.00 for the Corbin. Does anyone have a low cost solution that could possibly help me out?

I would love to be able to ride a lot further but it is just so uncomfortable that I can't. I don't even attempt to start out on a ride that is much over 75 to 100 miles for this reason.
Check out www.crossgel.ca

They have external pads or you can buy a bare piece and re-pad your present seat. I haven't done mine yet, but I know a few people who have and they love it. I plan on doing mine over the winter.
These guys are in Hamilton, Ontario Canada, so your US bucks are worth more. I think they even list their prices in US bucks.

Bob Smith
Goldwing 4 Ever

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Nothing as of yet. I am still awaiting samples from Corbin. I am also still awaiting some components that I need to rebuild the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Nothing as of yet. I am still awaiting samples from Corbin. I am also still awaiting some components that I need to rebuild the stock seat.
if you are going to be in N. Ca. anytime soon, you can ride down to the Corbin factory and they will custom build the seat while you wait, and buy you lunch too. They can make a nice seat, sometimes it's a little too hard.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:

I had the same problem with the stock seat, 50-60 miles and I was ready to stop. I sold my stock seat on ebay for enough to purchase a used corbin. now I use the air hawk cushion on the corbin when needed. now after 200 miles my neck and shoulders and arms are my pain areas.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

At least the pain is moving up. With the next seat maybe the pain will be in your hair and you can get a haircut!

:cheeky1::banana::cheeky1::bananas:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
At least the pain is moving up. With the next seat maybe the pain will be in your hair and you can get a haircut!

:cheeky1::banana::cheeky1::bananas:
I suppose when all the aches and pains are gone I will be dead...:grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Once you develop the ride hardened "iron butt" you can save the $30 - $40 and take your main squeeze out to dinner with it... LOL... :kissing:

It only takes about 1000 miles of steady riding on a nice weekend....LOL :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

So far all I have developed is a tired butt.:?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Well you could do the trials solution...But your wing will look strange...Come to think of it, so will you.

Put a pancake on your head and don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I wonder how it would ride with a pancake under each cheek....

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I need the pancake on the other end for padding, I did the trials thing a few times when I had the stock seat it was that or stop.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

When I bought my bike in 92, I took it to Hershey Park in PA. about a six hour ride.....bought a Travelcade seat the very day I returned home and have not regretted spending the $600.00 for it. Just sold the Hondaline seat on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

My 86 Wing is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.................you just need a smaller butt :smiler:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.