Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Goldwing brakes are ceased up due to long storage. I've repaired everything else that long term storage does to a bike and the last thing is my brakes. What would be the easiest way to go about this project? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

The only way I know to do it is to take the calipers off the bike and disassemble them. Clean everythingand put it back together. OEMparts are available and are usually less expensive that buying the aftermarket kits. (which often don't fit)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I assume you mean seized. The pads are stuck to the rotors? The brakes pistons are stuck? The lever doesn't move. What exactly is seized up? Front, rear or both?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

the front pads are stuck to the rotors, and the back pedal seems to just go down very easy with no resistance at all, and no movement

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

When I got my first 1100 Interstate one of the first things I did was take the entire brake system apart, calipers and master cylinders, and thoroughly clean them, and replace any bad parts. Clean out the o-ring grooves in the calipers, polished the pistons, reassemble everything, and replace the brake lines with braided lines.

Never had a bit of brake problems after that.

But it is rare for the pads to stick to the rotor, since they don't rust, but it can happen.

Sounds like a complete teardown of the brake system. You may have to replace some parts, but most if not all parts are available.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

One thing that can prevent troubles like this is to change out the brake fluid every 2 years. It does suck moisture out of the air and causes the piston to get seized in the caliper. Also do the same with the clutch if the brake fluid is that bad I have to think the clutch fluid is the same. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.