Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

yesterday my wifes '86 interstate got stuck in 2nd gear. Clutch works fine but cannot shift up nor down (fortunately was able to drive home)

anyone have any similar problem... looks like the external linkage would be an easy fix, whereas the internal linkage is a complete engine overhaul:gunhead:(might as well part it out

thanks for any advice, rodger

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You don't say if you have a heel/toe shifter setup or stock. Sometimes aftermarket heel/toe setups can bind on the un lubricated Heim joints or rocker shaft. Stock shifter can also bind if the lever is out of position causing it to rub against the exhaust manifold.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Very good points Vic, worth checking out before going in deeper. Next check has to be the linkages at front. Is it firmly stuck or did you try and rock the back wheel while trying to shuffle the gear lever?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

stock shifter, but I will look to see if it is hitting the muffler... it will not move either way

I tried rocking the bike, running, engine off all those tricks...

my wife has had a bad habit of trying to force (kick) it into neutral before starting... if I have told her once...:gunhead:

figured I would look at the external linkage first as it is where the water pump is... if it is the internal linkage look for parts on ebay

btw my '78 wing and H-D run fine

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You should tell your wife that you are going to find her an old 750 Hondamatic if she doesn't stop abusing her Wing.

You should never, ever force that shifter under any circumstances because it will jump into gear on its own if you know how to shift it properly.

Have your wife pull the Wing's engine, tear it down and show her what a bent shift mechanism looks like. She may want to change her neutral pursuit habit after this.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Quick tip... Put the bike up on the center stand and start it without disengaging the clutch.. The starter will snap the engine over using the alternator drive chain and drag the input shaft around in the transmission. This has worked once for me without damaging the starter. If the shift fork is bound up against the reverse pawl, it will snap free and release the fork.

Also, what weight engine oil is in the bike? Heavy oil in the very cold weather will cause the same issue you are having... How many miles on the bike?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am the original owner and it has about 67,000 miles... using mobile one 15-50... I will give the center stand idea a try

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It may not start with the clutch out if it's in gear because of the neutral safety switch.

You could bypass the neutral switch byjumping it from the starter relay or you could feed the starter lug directly but watch you don't arc too much or you'll burn it.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Good advice Goldwinger.. I forgot to mention the saftey switch... :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

so far the best advice is for her to rebuild the engine:p:

I think she already knows how pissed I am however, as I just rebuilt the bike after the front end hit a tree (daughters and boyfriend stupid kid trick), have put probably 5,000 miles on it since then, however it certainly is reasonable the accident damaged the shifting as well.

I'll let you all know what I find out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.