Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 Standard,and I just replaced a Dunlop D404 with a Shinko 230 Tourmaster on the front.The D404 was,well,"Goldwing stable" at all speeds,just too old,so I replaced it.Now,it seems like this Shinko actually seeks out road imperfections to "wiggle" on,and I do mean "wiggle".Which is kind of unnerving on a Wing,to say the least...

After reading quite a bit on a few GL forums and not seeing this as a common problem,I'm thinking it is either a steering head bearing issue,although I'd like to think having somthing like that just suddenly pop up is not normal...Or,maybe I just got a lemon tire???

Anybody or everybody have some thoughts on this?Tire pressure is at 41 with the front forks at outside pressure,that's how I have ridden all my Wings over the years,so nothing new there...It's beyond the normal rain-groove wiggle,but not much,just to give you all an idea what I'm experiencing...I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions,thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I had ordered the shinko 230 but couldn't get it, so I ended up getting the EII, I guess that was a good thing.

Mine followed road imperfections a little, I thought it was my fork seals so didn't do anything about it till I rebuilt the forks and it was doing the same thing. Today, I got my service bok out and it said 32 PSI in the front, not 40 that was in it. So I adjusted to 32 and it road Great!, even turned better and Made the Dyna Beads dance a little less at lower speeds. So I'll ride it at 32 for a while and see how it goes.

I forgot if the 230 was a center groove tire, but I had read somewhere that tires with a center groove in them will track lines in the road more than tires without the groove or an off set groove.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

As it changed right after the tyre change the tyre would be the prime suspect.
It could be a bad tyre or it could just be how they handle. Some tyres follow every imperfect in the road surface others ignore them.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I just put a Shinko 712 on the front of my 78-750k and it wiggles on the paint stripes and i don't remember it doing that with the Cheng Shin or Bridgestone. I don't notice it following grooves in the road. My Shinko 712 has the center groove also and i was wondering if that was doing it.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Paint stripes are evil especially when wet.
Here they're using wide stripes on crosswalks and even my neighbour who doesn't street ride commented on how slippery they were just driving his truck over them when wet.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the responses,guys.Jobe,it is a center groove tire,which I think may contribute a little bit.

I'm going to run it at 35 lbs and see what happens.I realize the mfr spec is 40-42,but I'm going to give it a try anyway,if that does nothing,then it's off to the shop to have the steering head bearings replaced.It has 52K on it,so that's not wasted money,it's going to need them sooner or later...

However,I'm still open to ideas...

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

I'm pretty sure the 84 STD posted air pressure is 32 front and rear. Check the right side of the bike either near or directly below the right side cover. It may also be on the drive shaft housing. I'm doing this from memory but 40 seems really high. Remember most 1200's are full dressers and carry a couple of hundred pounds more weight so the manufacturer of the tires recommend a higher pressure.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

It could also be a problem with mis-matched tires. Some brands are more sensitive to that. I certainly wouldn't mess with the steering head bearings if they were working fine with the previous tire.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

The E3' cured all that stuff for me.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

I had shinko's for a while and they were cheap great for a tight budget BUT yes, they were not the best for traction. Also above 80mph they would start to float. Last they also had cupping issues.
I would use them again if I was really really tight for money so I guess what I'm saying is you get what you pay for. They are a good cheap tire, they will last about 8-10K miles and you can do general driving on them with no issues. As soon as the road is wet watch out for bridge expansion joints, paint and tar snakes as they will slide on those....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all,

Last fall when I finally got my 86 Aspy roadworthy, I ordered the Shinko 230 tires, both front and rear. Yes, they were cheap. I changed them myself and put Dyna Beads in them for balance. The front axle has a specific order in which the caps are installed. I didn't know that until I saw it in the manual, so I had to redo mine. The tires rode smooth as glass at all speeds. I hit the interstate and had it up to 90 or so. No floating, no wiggle, no following anything on the road, just a smooth ride. I hope mine last more to the 10K side.
Good Luck with yours, Alan

·
Registered
239 Posts
well, this post is 4 years old but....I have shinko (yokahama) 777 on rear and 230 on front, smooth, no tracking at any speed. I blame peoples problems on poor bearing condition, balance or bad install. Bitch,gripe,deny if you want but I have run yokahama (shinko) tires for years from street to GNCC racing and can't complain.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Probably some air in the tires would solve most complaints.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I put a new front tire on in June and my bike would still follow lines in the road, in August I replaced the rear tire and everything smoothed out. No more tracking and a much smother ride all the way around. I think from now on, I will replace both tires at the same time. I'm running Dunlap's front and rear. I also run the tire pressure my manual says. I know this is a question about Shinko tires so this might not apple for you, but matched tires make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
my SEI is running a Shinko on the front at 40-41 and a E3 at same and have seen no problems with it but some groves in road do cause a little wiggle but nothing as compared with previous EII's

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Jerry the manual is not the guide to your current modern tires.
Use at or slightly (2-4psi) below max cold pressure for your tires
If E3s- they like around 41

Some tracking or wiggle issues are coming from the front wheel bearings, the rear wheel bearings
or steering bearings- or all of them!
If you have ~100kmiles think about replacing those at next tire change,,the wheel is already off~
Honda only charged me 34$ /.4 of an hour for the rear wheel 2 bearing set installation on 1500-loose wheel

That was faster, easier and far safer -IMO- to let the guy with 40 years experience AND the factory designed tools... not the Home Depot diy fabricated ones... do the job

1500s (others= I know nothing about) replace the rubber dampners in rear hub and the oring set of 3
for where the moly grease goes on the hub. Some suggest replace the orings with every tire change
about 10 dollars for the 3 = cheap leak insurance!

Ever seen pics of dry splines and the horrific wear!! Hope the trans wasnt damaged by all the slop...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have run Shinko 230 tires on both my 85 LTD 1200's and loved the soft ride and the way they handled on our tight Colorado mountain roads, any speed, even liked the tread design, but found that, where I would run 32psi front and 40psi rear (Honda manual) with Dunlop E3's and Michelin Commander 2's, I had to pump up the Shinko's another 5 pounds or more to get them stood up to handle the way I wanted. Unfortunately the Shinkos didn't last very long, and the casings were obviously more flimsy than the others. On these heavy bikes (add a wife, dog, and luggage) I just wasn't comfortable with trying to replace rubber and tough belting with air pressure. I'll stick with E3's, or Commander 2's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.