Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shocks on my 84 Interstate are in a bad state. They don't hold air, and I'm not sure if there's any oil left. Also, they're very rusted and looks like s**t. I was thinking about repairing them, but now I see a lot of rather cheap shocks for the GL1200 on eBay. Would it be worth fixing the originals (or maybe buy some working, original ones) or should I just go for a pair of Hagons or similar?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
The air shocks are easy enough to rebuild, and it won't break the bank. It has to be worth a try before spending on new shocks.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
My opinion would be to rebuild with progressive springs. Did my 1100 last year and never regret it. Much nicer ride.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If the lower part is rusted or pitted they are toast. A seal requires a perfectly smooth surface to work. Mine went straight into the dumpster. But I did learn one expensive lesson. DO NOT buy any of those cheap non air shocks you see on ebay for $99. They are absolute junk. I put some on mine, and the bike sat so low it was almost vertical on the sidestand. I did ride it by myself, but when I put my daughter on the back, the rear fender hit the wheel!! $99+ shipping down the drain. I got some Progressive 416s (for the 1200) for $300, put about 50 psi in them, now the bike sits up straight, leans over on the sidestand the way it should, is VERY easy to get on the centerstand, and carries my daughter and myself without sagging hardly any. Not cheap, but they are top of the line. Wish I had bought them first.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the lower part is rusted or pitted they are toast.
Just checked, and the lower part is indeed rusted :( I will shop around for some replacement shocks. Those ultracheap shocks on eBay are probably generic shocks that just happens to be of the correct length. For one of my other bikes I bought a Hagon shock, they tuned it to my weight without extra cost. I will give them a call.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I don't have a problem with non air shocks, IF they are strong enough to support the max load carrying capacity of the bike. What I had weren't even close. The advantage to air shocks is that they are adjustable. If you used spring only shocks that strong, you would have a very rough ride. The air shocks smooth it out quite a bit. Thee Progressives are completely rebuildable, and Progressive has parts to rebuild them. Just make sure the boots do not get torn or rotted. Mine were badly rotted and cracked, allowing water to get in, causing all the rust.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't have a problem with non air shocks, IF they are strong enough to support the max load carrying capacity of the bike. What I had weren't even close. The advantage to air shocks is that they are adjustable. If you used spring only shocks that strong, you would have a very rough ride.
My wife has her own bike, so this will be a solo bike. So I'm not worried about the lack of adjustment. I would like to keep the air shocks for the novelty of it though, so I will make an attempt to rescue the originals.

Edit: Cleaned the shocks with Autosol last night and I think they can be saved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.