Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Tried looking in the forum for an answer, but couldn't find one. A friend has a GL1200 with, of course, the hydraulic clutch. He rode home from work with no problems, but went back outside and he had no clutch. He checked the clutch master cylinder and it was empty - no signs of leaking anywhere.

Now the question. I'm assuming the fluid went into the engine via the slave cylinder and the bike has been sitting now for a couple of months because he couldn't afford to fix it. Did the brake fluid in the system damage the clutch disks? I know brake fluid causes swelling in some materials, and I assume it would the disks also.

I will have to change the disks out for him and rebuild the slave cylinder. I'm just wondering if changing the disks will be necessary.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

This happened to my 1500 also after it was given to me. I first tried cleaning out the master that was gelled up with brownish old fluid, bleeding out the system, but still lost fluid, so I pulled the slave off and apart, it was loaded with discolored congealed fluid from sitting while my friend had been sick and unable to ride, I had another slave cylinder available that was in good shape getting it from another friend with a several parts bikes, I checked and cleaned it and put it back together and bled the system, it has been good since, 14,000 miles.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I did it just before my cross country trip of 13,000 miles and no slippage even pulled the trailer, so try that first before getting into the clutch.

Edit;

Change the oil and filter of course.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks everyone!!! I was dreading getting into the clutch! I will rebuild the slave cylinder and try that. Anything I should know before rebuilding it???

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Do the master cylinder too.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

It won't damage the clutch. Just change the engine oil after the leaking seal is replaced.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

There is a weep hole on the body of the slave. There is no gasket between the rear clutch cover and the body of the slave. There is an oil seal between the clutch cover and the lifter rod. If think it would be VERY hard for the brake(clutch) fluid to get mixed with the engine oil.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

It probably just leaks out to the road as you are driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.