Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1985 GL1200 starts puking blue smoke after about a minute of idling. It is also leaking oil from the timing cover (which I know isn't good). I checked to make sure the crankcase ventilation port wasn't blocked and removed the filter just to make sure. I also rechecked the torque on the headbolts at 41ft/lbs. When I took the heads off, there was some pitting on two cylinders but my local machine shop said it should be fine, so I doubt blow-by is the main issue. The engine is of unknown mileage but from the looks of the insides it seemed like it wasn't very high. I also have a different intake on it; don't think that's the cause but figured I'd let you guys know. I'm thinking I installed the head gaskets incorrectly. Either that or maybe the valve stem seals are going bad. They didn't look bad when I took apart the heads but who knows. I plan on taking off the timing cover next to try to find the leaking oil source, then possibly doing a compression test just to be safe. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Did you leave the small o ring on the bottom of the head?
might be the water pump seal,it can leak coolant or oil.
doubt it’s Valve seals,not a common issue.wont be The pump if it’s behind the cover?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pretty meticulous while putting the head back on, I seem to recall putting that oring back, but maybe it got dislodged as I put the head back on. And I'm sure I put the oring on the water pump when I installed the new one.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I was pretty meticulous while putting the head back on, I seem to recall putting that oring back, but maybe it got dislodged as I put the head back on. And I'm sure I put the oring on the water pump when I installed the new one.
they have been left out,by accident though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're saying that I left out the o-ring in the head for certain? Why does it only start smoking after a while then?

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
You're saying that I left out the o-ring in the head for certain? Why does it only start smoking after a while then?
Even if you did leave them out it is not what the problem is. Those orifices just restrict oil to the cam & lifters to keep the pressure up in the crank bearings. If the crankcase breather is clear then it's probably stuck rings. Put 1/2 quart of ATF in the oil and run it like you stole it for a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if you did leave them out it is not what the problem is. Those orifices just restrict oil to the cam & lifters to keep the pressure up in the crank bearings. If the crankcase breather is clear then it's probably stuck rings. Put 1/2 quart of ATF in the oil and run it like you stole it for a couple hundred miles.
So the ring gaps have all lined up inadvertently, and this will get them to space back out again?

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 1985 GL1200 starts puking blue smoke after about a minute of idling. It is also leaking oil from the timing cover (which I know isn't good). I checked to make sure the crankcase ventilation port wasn't blocked and removed the filter just to make sure. I also rechecked the torque on the headbolts at 41ft/lbs. When I took the heads off, there was some pitting on two cylinders but my local machine shop said it should be fine, so I doubt blow-by is the main issue. The engine is of unknown mileage but from the looks of the insides it seemed like it wasn't very high. I also have a different intake on it; don't think that's the cause but figured I'd let you guys know. I'm thinking I installed the head gaskets incorrectly. Either that or maybe the valve stem seals are going bad. They didn't look bad when I took apart the heads but who knows. I plan on taking off the timing cover next to try to find the leaking oil source, then possibly doing a compression test just to be safe. Any other ideas?
This is most likely your somking.

Do you know what the ring end gap is?
David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is most likely your somking.

Do you know what the ring end gap is?
David
I do not, I didn't take the pistons out. But why would it be smoking out of both tailpipes and only after idling for a bit if this was the case? The pitting was on two adjacent cylinders.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The left cylinders?
Engines smoke at idle because vacuum is highest. It can suck the oil by the rings or valve seals. Plenty of time because the engine is running slow and vacuum is high.
It’s an engine of unknown source.
Ya never know what you are going to get. A dry then wet compression test may help find the answer.
David

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like it just got oil in the exhaust pipe when exhaust pipe gets hot it'll start smoking. Run for a while see if it burns the oil off

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
So the ring gaps have all lined up inadvertently, and this will get them to space back out again?
Didn't say that, I said the rings may be stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Leaking oil from the timing covers is not a good thing, there's timing belts in there and they don't tolerate oil very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leaking oil from the timing covers is not a good thing, there's timing belts in there and they don't tolerate oil very well.
I took off the cover and found that the cam seal was dislodged so I pressed it back in. I'm pretty sure that'll solve the issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts