Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
25,378 Posts
As Dave said there are marine starter relays with isolated mounts.
There are also lots of lawn and garden tractor starter relays with isolated mounts.

Why the Ford relay with grounded mount became the go to replacement is strange.
I suppose because you can buy one anywhere.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I originally done the Tricky's Modification (eliminating the dogbone and adding a spade fuse, taking the red and red/white wires out of the 4p connector), soldered the stator wires, replaced the starter and solenoid (starter stuck engaged). This was shortly after I got the bike. I now keep it on a battery tender too.

Anyway, I replaced the solenoid with what looked like exactly identical to the old one. And since I had removed the red and red/white wires from the connector and soldered an inline spade fuse then direct to battery, that left the 4p connector with only the starter switch wire and the green/red wire (clutch safety ground).

Well, I plugged it in wrong, and sent current to the little diode under the seat frying it. To accommodate the non-oem solenoid, someone had cut off the connector sides that only allow it to go on one way.

I fixed that with a new diode.

So you see why I'm reluctant to just try connections there without being double doggone sure, lol.

So today my replacement starter came in, I put it on, and it works/sounds great. It goes: ffft boom and starts instantly. Well, not really boom, but you know what it sounds like when it first starts up. I have the EFI so no choke problems, or cold start, or nothing. Just hit the starter and pow!, it doesn't hesitate or drag.

So I took a long awaited anxious ride, after adjusting my Voyager trike preload. (Right after I had moved it to do the preload adjustment, the starter stuck, so I havent ridden it after the adjustment. Not till just now, went for an hour ride. 75 degrees here in Florida.

Thanks guys, didn't mean to stir up a mess, just trying to make double doggone sure about wiring it up. And maybe help soneone later who needs the same help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any recommendations on a cheap, reliable solenoid? These $7 ebay aftermarket ones keep burning out.

From what I'm reading a marine one is the best? What happens if I get the NAPA one - the clutch has to be engaged?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I considered it but the first one I had was OEM. Then went through a few cheap ones. I'm looking for something else now, I'm about to order a new starter also so I want everything bulletproof. Might even redo the wires.

Any recommendations or should I just go with the NAPA one?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts