Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all Got one of those gremlins in my bike I cant find on my 85 1200 interstate. Started acting if it was fuel so I did all the normal stuff tank,lines,pump etc. replaced the 304 fuel relay ran fine for a short time acted the same,got another relay thinking maybe the first was bad ...no luck same thing. The honda dealer said possibly the pulse generator or the ECM anybody know if there is a way to test them????My good deal bike is getting not so good deal fast!!!! Just got all the radio stuff working $$$$

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If it's dying on you after it gets fully hot, (you did not state the conditions, all are needed to help you) then I would suspect the pulse generators too, there is a test for them in the repair manual. (I don't have a manual for your bike)

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
First thing you need to do is determine if you have spark or not. Your two front cylinders run off the same coil, as do the rear two. If you have spark to the front ones and to the back ones (when it won't run), you can safely eliminate your pickups as being the problem. I use a spare spark plug with a lead attached from the ground side to the engine case to check spark, it's easier than pulling the plugs out.

When it did run "for a short time", what do you mean by that? 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or what?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info "short time" was probably 50 miles. Did not check to see if all 4 plugs are firing thats next.It just acts like its running out of fuel then stallsThe pick ups the same as the pulse gen. I'm assuming?? easily changed?
Ordered a clymer manual but have not received it yet so not sure where they are located .

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
On the 85 they are under the timing belt cover and easy to change. If after 50 miles of running I think I'd be looking at the fuel cap vent. Easy way to test is to just loosen the cap next time it stalls and see if it runs normally. If so the fuel cap vent is the problem.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes p/u and PG are the same. They are next to the crank pulley behind the timing belts. Easy to get at when you change the belts.

Aftermarket timing belt numbers are

GL1200
Gates - #5043 or #T070 (2 ea.)
NAPA - #250070 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40070 (2 ea.)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Oh NO! This is the second time this past couple weeks. Something fishy happening with this new forum. I did a search, got the results, copied the address and pasted. Always has worked in the past. I fixed one yesterday on another post. Do a forum search, gl1200 pulse generator.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
From memory...and assuming it's not a FI 1200 we're talking about. Remove the top shelter, find the 4 pin connector towards the left front with blue, blue/white, yellow, yellow/white. Unplug the connector and figure out which end goes to the harness and which end goes through the frame and down to the Tbelt covers...that's the end you want to probe. Check the resistance between yellow and yellow/white...and blue and blue/white. They should be somewhere in the area of 75 to 300 ohms. The bad ones I've seen are usually totally open so it should be obvious.

Here's the 'kicker'...they're gonna test good until your bike fails. So you have to ride and be able to test them immediately when your bike fails...before the bad one comes back to life. They fail often enough (intermittently like yours is) and are not terribly expensive so I wouldn't think you were crazy to just replace them and hope it's fixed. BTW, when the wrong one fails, you lose spark on that coil, the fuel cut relay quits powering the pump...so this kind of failure can seem an awful lot like you're running out of fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.