Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I will be needing to need to buy a new set of spark plugs and spark plug wire set soon. I have the NGk spark plugs but i am not sure about the wire set.

Will a set of universal 4 cylinder Spark Plug Wire Set work on my gl1200? I don't have the old ones off yet and can't see if it has the size or not. I am thinking 7mm but not sure. If anyone knows the size can you post it please.

I have a Oreilly's auto parts and Autozone in town. will this work if they have the right size ?http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0610_-1_-1&pt=N0610&ppt=C0150

Thank you
Chris

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I tired my best to buy a set of plug wires for my former 1200 but the mechanic told me that what Honda put on there was nearly indestructible and there was no need to replace them on mine. It was 25 years old with about 115,000 miles on it. Went against my better judgment but they weren't benefiting from the advice.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
Like Oldwing said, if you have the OEM wires on there, they are better after 25 years of service that anything you'll find at the auto parts stores.
I think the OEM wires are still available new and they are probably cheaper than the high end junk from O'R or A-Z.

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
You can buy bulk 7mm copper core wire and make your own. They are screwed into the plug caps and just pushed into the coils with the plastic nuts and rubber grommets to hold them in. Takes about 6' of wire for all 4.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I've used silicone 7mm metallic core wire from NAPA, sold by the foot, on many bikes. Much better stuff than Honda used.

Scott

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I've used silicone 7mm metallic core wire from NAPA, sold by the foot, on many bikes. Much better stuff than Honda used.

Scott
Hum, the thirty year old wires Honda used on my Wing are working just fine.
Please report back after your super spondongical NAPA wires have thirty years of use.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you very much for the replies everyone, i will see what i can do.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Hum, the thirty year old wires Honda used on my Wing are working just fine.
Please report back after your super spondongical NAPA wires have thirty years of use.
I could have used Briggs and Stratton wires, but I wanted something better, less corrosion, better conducting, insulated. The Honda armor tubes come off easily enough with some warm water and soap to be reused again.

Scott

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Bigz, check these out at NAPA. Part number 734907, dark blue 7mm metallic core, silicone wire sold by the foot at any NAPA store that is worth shopping at. I paid $1.49 per foot the last time I got some. This wire will work with stock coils and NGK caps, or use silicone boots with resistor plugs. This wire is as good as Accel 7mm. Metallic core non-suppression, just what you need. ;)

Scott

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bigz, check these out at NAPA. Part number 734907, dark blue 7mm metallic core, silicone wire sold by the foot at any NAPA store that is worth shopping at. I paid $1.49 per foot the last time I got some. This wire will work with stock coils and NGK caps, or use silicone boots with resistor plugs. This wire is as good as Accel 7mm. Metallic core non-suppression, just what you need. ;)

Scott
thank you very much Scott, i will check into this as soon as i can,,

thanks again!
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.