Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read (I think in July) That someone had a problem with the mechanical speedo drive.

As it happens mine has just failed.

The plastic drive castle pieces have been worn away by the castle drive washer, seems a common thing at 28 years old (why can't they make them last longer!;))

The plastic gear 44806-ML8-701 seems unavailable.

I used to own a GL650 silver wing and had a similar problem, after ordering the part the silver wing had to go to the great junk yard in the sky so the new parthad sat in my spares box for the last 13 years. I had a look and it seems to be roughly the same as the GL1200 part although the teeth are slightly further apart. After a bench test the drive worked fine and is now fitted to the Bike the speedometer if anything is more acurate, comparedwith a sat nav. Just wondering how long it will function, I'll report any failures on this thread.

The bonus is the GL650 part still seems to be available.

Part No. 44806-MB-0003

hope this helps someone out

Johno

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Thank you as I am just about to pull mine apart and I expect it may be a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No problem,

Just been for a ride at higher speeds, the speedometer is accurate up to about 60mph then the speedostarts to read low so be wary of speed traps if using this part!

67 indicated = 70mph by sat nav

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I haven't had a speedo (nor GPS) since the day I bought my bike over 1.5 years ago. I hit a bump about 60KM into my first ride driving it the 85KM (or so home) just after buying it and have been using the tach (and traffic) as a rough guide ever since. Now that I have to get it resaftied (every 2 years irrespective of owner) I need to fix this and deal with exhaust (which was removed today).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.