Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a trip to Daytona Beach, FL (I live in Northern IL). It was awesome, especially the way back through the Tail of the Dragon.
This was by far the longest trip I ever went on.
For the first time I was using a GPS on the bike and found out why I was always slower the most even when riding 5 mile over the limit.
My speedometer reads about 12% lower than the GPS is showing.
Does anyone know if there is a way to correct that?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind... I should have read previous posting. I just fond what I didn't want to hear.
No There is not adjustment to correct the problem... Unless someone found a way :(

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
The 85 1200LTD I used to own had a very optimistic speedometer also. It was off by about 10%. It seems most all of the 1200s have fast speedos. My current 1500 is almost dead accurate with my GPS. In fact at 70 mph on the GPS the bike shows 69 mph. My 81 1100 Interstate had a fairly accurate speedo also.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
quite awhile back there was a post regarding a company which produced a unit to correct the 1200 speedo,but at +$120 it is just easier to live with the difference and rely on the gps
besides if the speedo sensor goes out all this ends up being a moot issue and those speedo sensors are rapidly becoming a hard and expensive item to find

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw something about the correcting device and you are correct, not worth the money, just live with it.
I just hope my sensor stays put for a while. I love my bike and don't have any plans to upgrade yet

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I use a cheap eTrex GPS unit AS my speedometer/odometer. I have yet to see a speedometer on any vehicle that did not show at least 5 mph faster than you were actually going. It's done on purpose. Most people know about it, and simply compensate by going faster. Once you have checked it with a GPS, you will know just how far off it is, and will be able to get pretty close. My speedometer sensor failed, I already had the GPS, but even a new GPS of that type was cheaper than the sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just this weekend I put about 180 miles on my (new to me) 85 Aspencade specifically for this purpose... Had a GPS unit running and comparing it to the speedo to see where the difference was. Same thing for me: 10-12% off.

My question is this: Does this also translate to the odometer as well? Do our bikes actually have 10-12% less miles than what is clocked??

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resdog, I tried to check that on my trip to Florida but I was having such a good time that I kept forgetting to keep track of my odometer.
I would like to know if anyone actually checked it and what the result was.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I use a cheap eTrex GPS unit AS my speedometer/odometer. I have yet to see a speedometer on any vehicle that did not show at least 5 mph faster than you were actually going. snip...
I don't know what kind of vehicles you have been driving but I don't find that to be the case. Sure the old 1200s were off by around 10%. As I stated above, my 1500 is almost dead accurate with a GPS unit and so is my riding buddy with his 1500. I drive vehicles for the local car dealer here and drive many different cars and trucks almost daily. Nearly all of them are within 1 or 2 mph of the GPS. Most of the newer ones are almost right on the button.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I don't know what kind of vehicles you have been driving but I don't find that to be the case. Sure the old 1200s were off by around 10%. As I stated above, my 1500 is almost dead accurate with a GPS unit and so is my riding buddy with his 1500. I drive vehicles for the local car dealer here and drive many different cars and trucks almost daily. Nearly all of them are within 1 or 2 mph of the GPS. Most of the newer ones are almost right on the button.
Well, "newer" might explain it. I rarely ever drive or ride newer vehicles. I have an '01 Chevy Malibu, but I've never checked the speedometer. All my bikes and my 2 old cars are way off, and on the optimistic side. I did have a '75 Ford truck once that I put oversize tires on the back of, and they corrected the speedometer. I don't use the speedometer anyway unless I am the only one on the road, or in school zones. I just stay with other traffic. True mileage is not a big deal ever.

One of my biggest issues with A/C work was trying to explain to customers that residential tstats were not dead on, just close, and might not show the same as another thermometer, which might be off itself. I also tried to explain that there was a cut on and cut off zone which could vary by several degrees, to prevent the compressor from constantly cycling on and off. I told them to just set the tstat where they felt comfortable. Most customers of this type were worried about the electric bill, and felt that they were somehow being cheated by a "faulty" tstat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.