Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got my Guard Dog moly grease in the mail, and will be tearing the rear end apart to check the condition of the splines on the rear wheel, final drive, and drive shaft. Since the engine seems to run fine, and the bike rides fine, this is my biggest worry. I figure if the engine/trans are ok, and the splines are ok, I can fix anything else. I do not have any of the parts yet, but when I get it all apart, if all the splines check out ok, I will leave it apart for a few days, and order new wheel bearings, new bearing grease seals, and a new oil seal for the drive shaft. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? I do not plan to pull the swing arm unless I find problems once I get everything else off.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

JMHO, I was looking at the specs for the Guard Dog MolyGreaseand it shows that it is only 30% Moly. From what I have seen, the service manual for the GL1200(which is outdated) calls for Moly 45 and I'm not even sure that it is still made. Honda now has Moly 60 which would beat the Moly 45 so it would be the right choice. I think I would have gone with the Guard Dog Moly Paste which is 73% moly before going with the Guard Dog Grease.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry, I meant paste. To me it still looks and feels like grease. It is the 73% stuff, and cost me $40 for 8 oz. But I also have another shaft drive bike that needs the splines lubed, and 8 oz. of the stuff should be a several year supply for both bikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.