Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have 1985 Interstate. I replaced my battery and now I'm having starter issues. When I hit my start button the starter free wheels and atthe very end of spinningit makes a grinding klunk sound. And when I hit the start buton again it starts right up. It doesnt happen all the time. Before I replaced the barttery it turnd over fine. I'm hoping someone might have an idea whats going on.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

That could be one of several things. Starter clutch in the engine spinning is one, and a good engine flush may cure it. But it could be broken or worn, or one ofthe starter motor internal gears could be stripped.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

First,3 questions.

What oil are you using?

When was it last changed?

Has the temperature there recently dropped?

Because: Heavier oil in cooler temperatures can cause the rollers in the starter clutch to stick.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I just changed the oil a week ago. I used 15W40 Rotella. The temp here is in the mid fifties in the morning. It seems strange that my starter started acting up after I replaced the battery.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

marksaunders wrote:
I just changed the oil a week ago. I used 15W40 Rotella. The temp here is in the mid fifties in the morning. It seems strange that my starter started acting up after I replaced the battery.
I think it has more to do with the oil than yhe battery. Were you using a different oil before? Has the temp recently dropped?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I'm not one to believe in coincidences, but you may have one here. If the starter spins but does not turn the engine over, the problem is almost certainly the starter clutch. It may be broken or just stuck. I see no way that replacing the battery could have anything to do with it, but just out of curiosity, why did you replace the battery? Also the oil you are using should be just fine for your temperatures. You could drop it down to a 10w40, but the difference would be negligible. I would not go below 10w40 under any circumstances. You might try some Seafoam in the oil, but that won't do much good if you can't get it started.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

marksaunders wrote:
And when I hit the start buton again it starts right up. It doesnt happen all the time.
Try some seafoam in the oil, and cross your fingers. My '85 did the same thing. Pulled the motor, replaced the overrunning clutch assy as well as the gear. No more problems. My '86 did it four times this spring. I threatened to sell it, so it stopped.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

"I threatened to sell it, so it stopped."

That is often a cure...but how'd you get it to read your mind!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

My 84 Aspy does the same thing - every once in a while the starter does not engage. I wait for it to stop spinning and then try again and it starts just fine. I has been like that all summer. I changed the oil about a month ago - now using synthetic. Can't remember if it did it before the oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp wrote:
"I threatened to sell it, so it stopped."

That is often a cure...but how'd you get it to read your mind!
Oh no. I YELLED at it!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

My '84 does it too. Not often. It is almost surely wear in the clutch assembly. Engine must be removed to fix that. I ran a quart of MMO in mine for a hundred miles. It doesn't spin as often now.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Yes I agree yelling makes me settle down, but no one else and the bike; I think as long as I care for it it realizes the other 9 PO didn't, so it settles down. At least that is my story.

The truth...this bike of mine at 31 years of age drives very much like a new bike so I think it isn't so much the yelling but the keeping it going the PM and the best part for both of us, the riding.

Just got the furnace set for winter, does that mean a long winter will be coming, oh the inhumanity!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

My hat is off to you riders that even bother to keep a bike so far North.
Bobby

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of year-round riders in the north. It's sure better for the bike. Just be sensible about when and where you ride and all will be fine.
Also, if you live in a burg that uses salt on the roads, rinse the bike off after the ride.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I guess my bike fixed itself. I haven't had any issues since I replaced my battery. It even starts great when its hot. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.