Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Starter was not working when hot .Did a lot of reading sounded like it needed a starter refresh . (pain in the ass) Seems to have helped but not cured it completely.

Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

If not already, you may want to check the voltage at the starter when cranking. Check the cable from the starter solenoid down to the starter.

Check the voltage going through the starter solenoid, sometime when they get some age they do not engage fully or have burn spots and do not allow enough voltage to the starter.

What condition is your battery in?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You need minimum 10 volts at the starter while cranking. Bad, old or dirty connections will rob you of power. A border line battery will not work well with a wing!

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

Good advice already, also check the dogbone fuse and make sure it's not all cruddy/corroded.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Just a thought; consider keeping your Goldwing attached to a battery tender when not in use. I have had great success starting my GL1100 with a battery at full charge.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Did your replace any parts in your "refresh", or just spray some cleaner in it?. just today my starter sounded sick like something is being ground up after I release the button.was thinking about getting get a rebuild kit, might just get a new starter.I would hate to do alot of stuff only to have to remove it and replace it.,,

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just cleaned,greased it in very good condition inside brushes etc.When engine cold it starts perfect.Just when it gets really hot it acts up seems like it binds .10 km no problem 30 km or more dont want to crank .Good thing bike
starts good or it would never start when hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.