Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dumb question but were is the starter located and would it be better to rebuild a starter or buy new one. The starter on my goldwing spins up but does not always engage. When it does engage it does not turn the engine over smooth.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

If it doesn't engage then it's probably the starter clutch, not the starter itself. Could happen if the wrong oil viscosity is used or if the bike hadn't been ridden for a long time. Now if it turns the engine poorly once it engages, thatcould bethe starter problem, but check the battery first!The starteris located at the bottom of the left hand side of the engine, under the cylinder head (at least on GL 1000 and 1100, but I think that 1200 has it on the same place). It might be dirty or the brushes may be worn, not a big deal to remove it from the bike and take it apart for cleaning, lubricating and maybe areplacement of the brushes.If you have a repair manual for your bike there is a detailed explanationofhow to repair the starter.

Good luck! Alex

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hi Richardel. where are you located? If it's getting cold there, that is your first problem. like the new owner said, your sprag clutch is your problem most likely. Your starter is located just behind your shifter on the left side.
You should treat your engine oil with sea foam or mmo and run it for around 100 miles to scrub your engine. Than drain the oil, pull the filter & replace with fresh oil & new filter. a good oil to try would be Dello 400 from wal-mart.
if your starter clutch or sprag clutch, Same thing,.. is gummed up, you will get this type of bad starting issue!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

It is a new battery and I have a battery tender on it. The times that I have started it it has been kind of cold and the bike is inside but not heated. I just change the oil when I rebuilt the carburetors because I had found gas in the oil. This motorcycle had set for about two years prior to me buying it. What little I know about working on engines I could believe that it was the clutch. But once it does engage it turns the engine over really rough.I think I will take the starter off and clean it and check the brushes. I want to pull the forks and get them repack and change the windshield this winter. Thank you for the info. It is a great help since this is my first Goldwing restoration.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

i bought a windshield from JC Whitney for under $60. It was awesome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.